Jet 1221vs review - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 22

Default Jet 1221vs review

I bought a Jet 1221vs and when I was looking for info I found only the promo video from Jet. I have made a review video and provide some first impressions and notes on my first few turns with it. Hope it helps.
Jet 1221 VS quick review JWL 1221VS - YouTube
Old 08-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I recently bought the same lathe. I'm pleased with almost everything about it. Except the quality of the paint.
Dan Masshardt is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
I recently bought the same lathe. I'm pleased with almost everything about it. Except the quality of the paint.
Dan, I bought a 1220vs on sale after the 1221 came out and I've noticed the same problem. I don't know whether to call Jet or not as this it's purely cosmetic. Still you'd think it would be better than this.

www.mikconcreations.com
mick is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

good video Chad, I noticed when Dan had posted that he had bought one, mine had been delivered by then but had no chance to set it up. Mine replaced a Rikon 70-100. Gotta say the Rikon is a good lathe for the features it has and it's price. Solid. But there is night and day between this new Jet and the Rikon.

Question though, am I the only one catching my thumb between the handwheel and the indexing pin?

I've done this a few times. As I'm turning the wheel my thumb comes up and jams between it and the pin. Maybe I need to order a smaller thumb.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocere1 View Post
Question though, am I the only one catching my thumb between the handwheel and the indexing pin?

I've done this a few times. As I'm turning the wheel my thumb comes up and jams between it and the pin. Maybe I need to order a smaller thumb.
I haven't caught my thumb in there yet. Though I'm sure now that I've said it, I'll get it stuck my next time in there
JohnGreco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Chad- Good video! I think you meant to say it came with a live center for the tailstock though, not dead center :)

One interesting thing I noticed is when yours is powered off there is nothing on the display...when mine is off it reads "0". Which only further tells me I do need to replace my switch.
JohnGreco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post

Dan, I bought a 1220vs on sale after the 1221 came out and I've noticed the same problem. I don't know whether to call Jet or not as this it's purely cosmetic. Still you'd think it would be better than this.
I've heard that they would send you a touch up paint which I may try to request.

It is what it is. There is no warranty claim to make. Just cosmetic but be careful with your air gun!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 22

Glad to hear so many are having good luck with the lathe. Yes I did mean live center not dead center.
Bocere1 I have not had that problem must be a different size thumb, ha ha.

I'm glad Dan mentioned using air with the paint because I defiantly would be blowing it off with the air hose.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschimmel View Post
Glad to hear so many are having good luck with the lathe. Yes I did mean live center not dead center.
Bocere1 I have not had that problem must be a different size thumb, ha ha.

I'm glad Dan mentioned using air with the paint because I defiantly would be blowing it off with the air hose.
Chad. I blow the lathe off several times a day and will continue to. But if you hold the nozzle right against the paint, you may have a problem.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post

I've heard that they would send you a touch up paint which I may try to request.

It is what it is. There is no warranty claim to make. Just cosmetic but be careful with your air gun!
It's not really chipping, well in a couple of places, but it's the quality of the paint. Seems very thin in places. When wiped down with a damp cloth using a mild soapy cleaner the higher spots (from the sand casting) seem to have the paint. Kinda "worn" off . A bottle of touch up paint wouldn't cover this. My1014vs although beat up now, it's 8 yrs old, had a much better paint job when new. I guess it goes to show how quality control has slipped down hill over the years.

www.mikconcreations.com
mick is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads