Jet 1220 plunge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMayoIII

I've been turning for a while now using what I strongly believe is an over kill lathe for pen turning and decided to look into a smaller lathe. I've read a lot about the different lathes talked about on here and just ordered a jet 1220 without the vs option. I know I probably should have gotten the vs, but I'm not convinced that changing the belt will be that bad. In the event that I want vs, can anyone recommend a good add-on? This next question might seem a little beginner-ish but hey, I'm no pro! What do you use a lathe for in reverse? I just can't think of anything, someone must know and be able to convince my wife that I must get one with it!:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

What do you use a lathe for in reverse? I just can't think of anything, someone must know and be able to convince my wife that I must get one with it!:biggrin:

Congrats on the new lathe. I sometimes use reverse when sanding bowls, particularly natural edge, square or odd shaped bowls. This way, the leading edge is different when I switch directions.

Why do you need one? The same reason your wife needs THIS pair of shoes or THAT purse :eek:

Just make sure you have a comfortable couch before you try that excuse :wink:

RMayoIII

What do you use a lathe for in reverse? I just can't think of anything, someone must know and be able to convince my wife that I must get one with it!:biggrin:

Why do you need one? The same reason your wife needs THIS pair of shoes or THAT purse :eek:

Just make sure you have a comfortable couch before you try that excuse :wink:

Funny you mention it, we were couch shopping this weekend also!

SteveG

+1 on the VS. I recommend you cancel your order and get the VS. It is by far a favored "extra" that most pen turners get, and is often the primary reason for getting a new lathe. I have that option, and find mysel changing speeds quite often because it is so quick and easy. There will be no charge for this opinion.:wink:

RMayoIII

I ordered the 1220 today for $475 shipped. I just can't see spending an extra $400 for the vs option. I've read elsewhere that it's only $100 difference in price but I can't find it. Anyone have a link for the 1220vs cheaper than $870?

Hexhead

The variable speed has a DC motor their a little less powerful than the AC motor you're getting. I got pretty fast at changing the belts. I usually always ran wide open and then switch to slow for sanding. Both are great machines.

Hexhead

I forgot to add that not all variable speed's use DC motors. I currently have a jet 1236 it has a AC motor, the variable speed is controlled by two cone shaped pulleys that sandwich the belt. if you don't like the belts jet sells a convertion kit for about a hundred dollars or so, includes the controler and motor to convert it to a varible speed.

Last edited:

RMayoIII

I forgot to add that not all variable speed's use DC motors. I currently have a jet 1236 it has a AC motor, the variable speed is controlled by two cone shaped pulleys that sandwich the belt. if you don't like the belts jet sells a convertion kit for about a hundred dollars or so, includes the controler and motor to convert it to a varible speed.

I'll keep that in mind. The lathe I'm currently using has the two pulley setup you mention, I think they call it a reeves drive setup. It's a nice feature but has it's cons as well.

JLewis

also +1 on VS. It will cost you about $100 to do the conversion if you choose, but you will void the warranty and it is still a modified tool then. I bet the 1220 and the 1220 vs will become cheaper over the next few months as the 1221 hits its stride. so if you can swing the VS right now I bet you will be able to in 30-45 days.

JLewis

I doubt you will void the warranty if you use Jet parts, but read the fine print. However if you use Jet stuff I bet it would be way cheaper to have bought VS in the first place.

I have VS but if I didn't I bet I would still be turning just as nice of a pen. I have reverse but if I didn't I bet I could just get used to turning my blank around to sand in the opposite direction. Now the down side to VS is in the points of failure! I bet you are going to just love your new lathe.

Top Bottom