Interesting new tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Frog Morton

I was very interested until I saw that the sanding discs are not velcro-backed.

That is a deal breaker for me.

duncsuss

IMO ... it might work for final sanding -- meaning "once the tool marks and tearout have been fixed."

I need to use a firm backing pad to remove tool marks -- otherwise all I get is nicely polished grooves.

dogcatcher

I would say make your own, you can but sheet rubber at Zoro tools about 1/4 thick sheet. VALUE BRAND Rubber, Neoprene, 1/4 In Thick, 12 x 12 In 365-1/4HGA - G1725622 at Zoro

The shaft can be made from 6011 aluminum. The only problem I see is making sure the shaft is centered and balanced, those grinders kick out some speed and torque, so it needs to be balanced.

But a quicker and cheaper method is the 1/4 drill that Shawn posted and the sanding discs from the supplier off of Sawmill Creek. They are even Velcro backed for Frog Morton. And have been tested by 100's of woodturners. I use mine in my Foredom hand piece.

magpens

An interesting attachment for an angle grinder. But it seems to me that an angle grinder, unless it has variable speed, turns far too fast for the kind of detail work that most of us do most of the time. Plus it seems very expensive for what you get.

I wouldn't buy it.

Wildman

Not excited about sander attachment or 1" diameter sanding disc.

Think angle drill and backup & interface pads and larger size disc a better op. Did not pay $30 bucks for my electric angle drill or my air sander at Harbor Freight.

Even though had trouble with some back-up pads bought here, interface pads and disk are great. I am at fault for destroying a few up pads, also got a few bad ones. I like Vinces blue disc and going to buy some 2" Velcro for my homemade back-up pads a 6-pack only $5. Would like to pick up some 3" blue disc, because think faster than 2 3/8" for some applications.

Store « www.VincesWoodNWonders.com

KenV

Sharon -- I do not have that one but have a grex random orbit sander that runs on air.

Eats lots of air and am looking at one of those.

Random orbit sanding is different than the angle drills. Have those and use them.

Random orbit works best at low speeds or at a stop. Random orbit avoids the "swirlies" that happen with rotary sanding.

High cost -- but I am likely a buyer in the future as it is cheaper than getting a bigger air compressor.

(I like the $39 dollar angle sanders on Amazon too -- throw away when the bearings go. My current one makes noise but keeps on running....)

Top Bottom