Improved engraving by removing a FLAT on pen barrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodo

I would like to remove about 1/16 inch off a slimline pen barrel, to give me more space to engrave a name with a pantograph engraver (Gravograph IM3).

Any pen over 10mm, 3/8 inch, diameter engraves well with my IM3.

Anyone have any suggestions how to do this accurately.

thank you

Peter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hang on !

I don't know what profile you turn on your slimlines, but the bushing size is 0.330" and the tube outer diameter is 0.268". So if you subtract those numbers and divide by 2, you get a pen wall thickness of 0.031". Now, 1/16" is 0.0625". So by taking 1/16" off the sidewall you are already through it !!!

Of course you might profile your slimlines to have a much thicker wall.

To do what you want to do, as I see it, you *need* the thicker wall and a milling machine with the proper gadgets to hold your pen parallel to the milling table.

duncsuss

I've used the PennState fluting guide (with a HarborFreight trim router) to make multi-faceted pens. I'm pretty sure it would work for what you're looking to do.

Example with 8 facets:

IMGP6272.jpg

magpens

Duncan, that is a very nice looking pen !!

Can you tell me, please, what kit you did this on; and what is the tube diameter and also the finished diameter of the pen blank before you "fluted" it to be octagonal.

Last edited:

duncsuss

Duncan, that is a very nice looking pen !!

Can you tell me, please, what kit you did this on; and what is the tube diameter and also the finished diameter of the pen blank before you "fluted" it to be octagonal.

Thanks ... it's kitless, I don't remember the size and the pen's at home. I'll check it tonight.

Top Bottom