I'm looking for some live centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeeAMaker

I have seen in videos some unique live centers for the tail stock, and I am finding a need for different types of live centers.
All the ones I've been able to find to buy are the common ones sold by all the popular turning sites. anyone know where I might find a selection of different live centers?

I have found these, Live Centers - Riten Industries, Inc. but think it's more for specialized machines and are quite pricey.

This one looks intriguing, Price isn't too bad.
Super Rolling Changeable Point Live Center ZLC 07016-MT2

Other suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

It would help to know what you intend doing with the live center.

What I find a need for is a live center which has an included angle of, say, 45-or-so degrees instead of 60 degrees. . And there aren't any, at least at a reasonable price.

I know that the dimple on the end of any mandrel we use is designed to match up with the included angle of 60 degrees found on a usual live center.

But in my "conversion" to turning between centers I have completely discarded all bushings and mount my work directly between the dead and live centers.

An included angle of 60 degrees turns out to be awkward for some pen kits. . The reason is this : - the bigger the angle, the more likely you are to run your cutting tool into the cone of the center . . This is especially problematic for pen kits like the Executive which has a very thin finished material thickness at both ends of the barrel. . So a smaller angle gives you a greater margin of safety when turning for these kits.

That is my criterion for selecting a live center (or a dead center).

Because there aren't any that meet my criterion, I have to improvise and that is hard to do effectively particularly for the live center which has to have built-in bearings to allow it to rotate freely.

What would be your criterion for choosing a live center ? . What do you want to do with it ?

Last edited:

BeeAMaker

Forgot about little Machine shop - thanks!

As for what I am doing, well. I want a large bull nose one as it is good for doing bud vase. I also want a long skinny one so that large bulky LC doesn't get in my way. I would also like a cupped one. I want to spray t with Dip-It to give it a rubber coating and use it for turning round thinks like globes. But mostly my OCD compels me. :D

lorbay

Have a look at the Oneway. It has some various tips and with the threaded end you can make limitless tips.
Lin

KenV

I like the Robust live center for the heavy duty nature and it uses a 3/8 core rod with a stock 60 degree tip on one end. Any thing that can be filed or machined on the end of a 3/8 inch rod becomes an interchangable tip. Also has 3/4 by 10 threads and aluminim cones are available.

Nova live center is price pointed much lower and has many interchangable tips based on a stub mt2 taper. 1/4 inch extended tips of hardened steel can be ground to many different shapes but are stock 60 degree pointed. There is a mandrel saver insert available from a 3rd party.

Oneway live center is another good one with replacable mt1 stub tips. Tips are available from Cindy Drozda in several different shapes. Has 3/4 by 10 threads and aluminum cones.

Then there are many machinist live centers with prices depending on duty and precision. Z-live has good precision for price with many extended tip versions

Last edited:

monophoto

I bought the PSI live center adapter - https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LTCA18.html. It was intended to allow mounting of a chuck and has the same threading as my headstock spindle - 1"x8tpi. So I can then turn threaded 'noses' that simply screw onto the adapter to provide whatever live center I want - cones, inverted cones, flat faces, concave faces (to match tennis balls when turning goblets), etc.

magpens

These are all good tips, some of which I never heard of before. . Thanks to everyone.

TonyL

I have experience with Z-live centers and have found them to be a good balance of quality and price. However, I don't have the benefit of being able to compare them to others.

MT2 Live Centers

BeeAMaker

Holy crap my OCD is burning a new hole in my head! rubber chucky is a whole new dimension! :hypnotized:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think. :eek:

BeeAMaker

Yep, I like that one and have been considering it.

I also like this one,
https://oneway.ca/2 MT Live Center?search=live center

But I also like this one,
https://www.rubberchucky.com/store/p65/Live_Center_with_Removable_Cone.html
It also works with most of the rubber chucks on that site.

I am trying to find out if this one from Oneway
https://oneway.ca/products-category/holding/Spurs, Drivers, Centers/Live Center/2 MT Live Center
Has the same 3/4-10 thread. (I think it is) If it does then I would prefer this one as it comes with the large cone, and I can still use it with the Rubber chuck attachments. (not to mention I can make my own attachments) The guys I asked at Oneway hasn't replied yet.

So - comes down to the interchangeable points from Z-live cents and the Oneway, ... ... .. or both? .. :eek:

Hello. My name is Glenn.... and I'm addicted to turning....:biggrin:

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions!

BeeAMaker

Merry Christmas to me. :)

Oneway Live center from Peachtree, and chucks from Rubber Chucky.

rubberchucky.jpg

Last edited:

BeeAMaker

I use the PSI live center with the 1-8 threads. I can thread blanks turn them on the headstock and make adapters for all situations. One of the best things PSI has.
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LTCA18.html

Seen that, I'll probably be getting one of them too. I love things that have several/unlimited options. Things like this make it much easier to tackle any situation in no time. :peace:

JimB

I use the PSI live center with the 1-8 threads. I can thread blanks turn them on the headstock and make adapters for all situations. One of the best things PSI has.
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LTCA18.html

Seen that, I'll probably be getting one of them too. I love things that have several/unlimited options. Things like this make it much easier to tackle any situation in no time. :peace:

I have one of those as well. I love it!

Top Bottom