I'm being evicted... - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Also how are you going to do the ceiling? I would want as much height as possible, at least in the middle of the room.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #22 (permalink)

Great looking building.
Had one shop where we used 'chip board' 1/2 inch and painted it white. We ran all the electric outside the walls for changes later. Also ran air lines at the ceiling.
Hope that you can find an air conditioner to fit the window.
If you can't place any cement in front of the door.....a long ramp might be a nice addition.

Enjoy the fun.

"Don't go riding on that long black train."

Last edited by stonepecker; 04-12-2017 at 09:53 AM.
stonepecker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Are you going to add a concrete pad in front of the doors? Would be nice if it was level wit the floor so you could wheel equipment outside. I guess you would need to worry about water draining away from the building.
I will put a pad or pavers at the doors but will not be able to roll any tools outside as of right now. With the tools I have and my current plan I will not need to do anything outside.

Quote:
Also how are you going to do the ceiling? I would want as much height as possible, at least in the middle of the room.
I am going to try to get a little bit of height with vaulting the joists but I might just have to place the ceiling joist on top of the wall plate. That will still give me just a inch or so above 8' to the ceiling. I know that is a little low but with the limitations of the building codes I couldn't get any taller walls.

Dale B.
preacherman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #24 (permalink)

Now you have your own space in the works she'll need an invite to come visit you.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post
I am going to try to get a little bit of height with vaulting the joists but I might just have to place the ceiling joist on top of the wall plate. That will still give me just a inch or so above 8' to the ceiling. I know that is a little low but with the limitations of the building codes I couldn't get any taller walls.
You should be able to raise your ceiling joints and span them between the roof rafters or even eliminate them totally.

You could put some insulation between the roof rafters, allowing for ventilation, and put your drywall right on them.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Why do you need a ceiling? Isn't the building designed to stand as is? If it was supposed to have a ceiling wouldn't it have been sold that way? You can put a partial one across to store lumber and lawn chairs but don't do the whole thing if you can avoid it. Being able to go outside to sand or paint is more useful than you can imagine.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:

You should be able to raise your ceiling joints and span them between the roof rafters or even eliminate them totally.

You could put some insulation between the roof rafters, allowing for ventilation, and put your drywall right on them.
I considered just putting it straight to the rafters but the rafters are only 2x4s so with r 13 that will be right against the underside of the roof and no ventilation. So I'm going to drop it a little just not sure how much.

Dale B.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman View Post
Quote:

I considered just putting it straight to the rafters but the rafters are only 2x4s so with r 13 that will be right against the underside of the roof and no ventilation. So I'm going to drop it a little just not sure how much.
Could just tack some 2x2s or 2x4s to the current rafters. Or use foam sheets, some between the rafters and some on the rafters.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Since it isn't a large shop perhaps getting it spray foamed would be better. If there is any development in the area a company might tack your job to their day if they have any other work in the immediate area. I know it cost more than bats but it would be quick for them to come in and shoot the ceiling and walls. Then you can put up the sheeting of choice. Just get all the electrical rough in and penetrations for venting, dust exhaust etc., first.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #30 (permalink)

Default Busy Day

Friday was a busy day on my building. I got the electrical work roughed in. Going to have 100 amp service. I have a dedicated circuit for my table saw, one to the rear wall for AC and one for Dust collector. Wired for 6, 4 ft lights. Also one switched outlet in the middle of the shop for air cleaner. I have boxes about every 5 ft down each wall.
I decided to put Styrofoam insulation in the ceiling and raise the ceiling up. I have 9ft 4in of clearance in the middle of the floor. Just got to get insulation and sheetrock up an Ill be moving soon.

20170414_154409.jpg

20170414_154422.jpg

20170414_154427.jpg

Dale B.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads