I have joined the modern age. New lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sschering

My Grandfathers hand made antique lathe keeps threatening to strip the collet draw tube again so I've been looking at getting a new lathe.

Today I walked into the Sears where my step son works in tools just to say Hi.

He was busy with a customer so I took a walk through the woodworking tool aisle. There I found they were blowing out the last 351217520 12x16 Midi lathe for $240.. It was missing the tail stock lock handle so in the end I walked out the door with it for $232 ($218 + tax). Crafstman Midi lathe for a HF price:wink:

I just moved up 100 years in lathes :)

Will the Penn state Variable speed kit fit it?
https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/me...uct_Code=TCLVSKIT&Store_Code=PS&showreviews=1

Last edited:

KenV

You can probably make the PSI motor fit. It will not give you the power you will want with a 12 inch lathe. Yes, I have one. The controller is such that as the motor speed drops off, the torque drops faster. Less than about 50 percent of full speed has big loss of torque.

sschering

Sooo.. Since posting this we moved and my lathe has sat idle for 2 years while we worked on the new house.

I got back in the shop to turn a pen for maybe the 3rd time on this lathe.. Wouldn't ya know it.. the head stock bearings are going out. I'll be heading down to the bearing shop for a pair of 60052RS bearings on Monday.

Top Bottom