How would you elevate your lathe - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 63

I would suggest that you consider inserting a wood platform between the lathe and the legs.

You could keep the platform to the width of the lathe bed, or you could get creative and make it so that you can use it to put things on. . You'd have to design it so that you can get as close to the lathe as you want to be.

I think you could also mount the lathe on a work bench of appropriate height and discard the legs altogether.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 11

You need to consider what you are going to be turning. If you plan to turn bowls from out of round, out of balance pieces you need to be aware of the vibration and that the lathe will try to 'walk' so you need something more than just 4x4 under the legs because it may try to 'walk' off them. In the link, one of the pictures shows a large piece of wood mounted that is out of balance. That piece would cause a lot of vibration and possibly walk the lathe. That lathe is not very heavy and the slowest it goes is 550 rpm. Both those factors will contribute to vibration and walking.

If you use wood under the legs use 2x6, stack them and fasten them together. Drill a small recess for the legs to go into. This will reduce the possibility of the lathe walking and falling off the wood risers. Also add a stretcher between the lathe legs and add weight as mentioned by someone else.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDWine View Post
I'm looking for ideas.

The lathe is a JET 1236.
(see pic here: https://www.homedepot.com/p/JET-12-i...8352/204024413)

My idea is to use 2 4x4's on each end to support the legs. I'd then use 1 or 2 2x4's between as (a) stretcher(s) to keep things from shifting.

I've seen another idea of building a platform for the lathe to stand on, but I don't like the idea of having that "step" in front of me. It would prevent me from getting close.

I did a bit of poking around to prevent a 'frivolous" post, but it seems there is little discussion about how to accomplish the task.

Ideas? Pictures? Comments?
I have the same lathe and I am 6'2", on a good day. The legs on the lathe are very secure and I would do what Lee suggested and use doubled 2x6's front to back. This shouldn't cause any instability. I've been thinking of doing this myself when I build my new shop.

Tomas
tomas is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2018, 12:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

I just put 6 inch wheels under my nova 20-24 lathe , I have a small shop and need to move the tool I'm using to the middle of the shop (garage) . I made the brackets and base out of 4 inch angle iron and the 2 wheels under the motor end swivel and the other end they are stationary. I used the bolt holes in the bottom of the legs to attach them to the angle iron . If I knew how to attach pictures here I would show you . All it did for me was raise the lathe 1/4 inch and with the wheels locked it doesn't move and I have had no more vibration than when the lathe sat on the floor . it might be even better because the wheels are solid rubber .
cleve is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-03-2018, 05:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 9

Thanks for all the replies, it is very much appreciated.
This is a pretty large lathe, so the table top solutions don't really apply. I am definitlely not going to rebuild legs and such, that is just too much.

I think the 4x4 solution seems to be the workable scenario at this point.
I plan to bevel the front/rear corners (just for appearance, maybe a bit of clearance) and sit the adjustable feet into recesses. I like the "rubber under" idea too, and will look for some of appropriate thickness.

The stretcher I had in mind would be fit into a notch on either end to elevate the stretcher up from the floor... easy cleanup etc.

I like the idea of keeping the floor under the lathe clear, versus using a platform box to elevate it. I fear I would bump my toes regularly, which would just ... well... I would not like that.

Funny thing is that I am attracted to smaller turnings, and this lathe is a full size lathe. I have the option to turn larger bowls and such, and long table legs. So far the ornamental birdhouses and numerous pens is all that I have turned. Maybe I should consider a smaller lathe... but not now.

Again, thanks for the input. It did help tremendously!
MDWine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-03-2018, 06:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
you need to be aware of the vibration and that the lathe will try to 'walk' so you need something more than just 4x4 under the legs because it may try to 'walk' off them.
Yes - vibration is an issue. But a critical point that has been included in several suggestions is that whatever form the elevation takes should be bolted to the lathe so that the lathe cannot 'walk' off the risers.

"I like the "rubber under" idea too, and will look for some of appropriate thickness."

Harbor Freight has some recycled rubber pads that are about 1/2" thick. I would be inclined to consider sacrificing a pad to create some rubber feet to go under the riser. Just be sure to attach the feet to the riser - polyurethane glue seems to adhere to the rubber pads very well (DAMHIKT).
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Michael, Instead of raising the lathe, we could shorten you!

Have you thought about whether a tall stool would work for you?
Old 05-04-2018, 05:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_W View Post
Michael, Instead of raising the lathe, we could shorten you!
After all the pain I went thru with my knee the last two months, I would not have minded being shorter!!

I actually had not considered the stool, I do have one. Given that my direction is toward smaller pieces, that may not be too bad. I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks Charlie!!
MDWine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

This YouTube was posted today. While the specific need for elevation is different, the method could be applicable.
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads