How to turn the butt end of a tool handle?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Hello; I'm making some tool handles for tools bits I got recently. The first one turned out OK, but the butt end of the handle gave me a rough surface with lots of torn grain. I resharpened the skew, but it didn't help.

I think my technique is wrong, so here is the question. What will give me a good sand-able surface that I can finish.

Any suggestions appreciated....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

You don't say what you mean by resharpened the skew but the skew should be honed, not just sharpened.

I haven't made full size tool handles but I have made screw driver handles (bottle stoppers would be the same idea as the top is end grain). I use a 3/8 detail Spindle gouge that has been honed.

I have a slow speed grinder and Wolverine set up but for my skews and detail Spindle gouges I hone them for weeks, sometimes even months, before they see the grinder again. I use a 600 grit diamond credit card. A 30 second touch up will be a much better edge on them then the grinder ever will. When I do take them to the grinder it then takes a minute or two of honing to get the sharp edge I want.

randyrls

Thanks for the insight Jim! I did resharpen the skew and honed it too. I tried a scrap first and it looked much better... So I started on the second handle and it worked much better than the first. The first one I had to take to the 12" disc sander and that took the torn grain away but burned the end grain. I re-sanded the handle again with my 6" sanding disc on my lathe at about 500RPM and that removed the burn marks too.

So all is good! The second handle is resting while the epoxy cures.

duncsuss

Are you using the skew with the toe (long point) up or down?

I find when I have it toe down I'm cutting with the point itself and can get tear out.

When I cut with the toe up, I'm cutting with the blade (between 1/4 and 1/3 of the blade thickness up from the heel) and I get a much cleaner cut. I just have to be very careful not to let the blade "lean back" into the workpiece, or I get a beautiful screw-thread catch :rolleyes:

YMMV, etc.

randyrls

Duncan; I was cutting point down all the time. I get fewer spiral catches that way.

Derek, I was using a soft maple piece I got at Woodcraft.

The tools are finished and look good. I put a light CA finish on them and will add several more in the coming days. I'll post photos later today.

Top Bottom