How to replace tailstock handle on Nova DVR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I have ended up with a Nova DVR XP lathe, and I like it very much. The one thing I would like to change is the tailstock wheel/handle, I much prefer a handle where the actual handle 'stick' rotates within the wheel itself. I am looking for input on how to remove the tailstock wheel and replace it if possible, I have found that Powermatic will sell the wheel/handle from a 3520 which I used recently at a class I took and I would love to get that wheel/handle onto my Nova--so I would appreciate any tips/advice/input.

Thanks--Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

You can take the handle off the end of the tail stock. I have this lathe. There is a pin that you have to remove from the side of the handle that faces the head. Once that pin have been removed then you could add a handle a and a bushing in the hole so that it does not cause any damage to the handle.

nava1uni

Why not turn the handle you want. Once you remove the metal handle from the wheel you can make a wonderful handle for it. You can turn a larger wheel for the head stock and mount it to the metal standard wheel. Makes it much easier to operate.

Fish30114

OK, I've figured out how to remove the wheel/handle, now I am trying to figure out what thread/size the tailstock is--anybody can help I would appreciate it--I've got an e-mail in to Teknatool....

pfbarney

Hey Fish! I was in the same place you are and I came up with a solution that is working so far. I say so far because this is the second version of my revolving handle...the first one didn't revolve very well and I've only drilled out a couple of blanks so far.

The first two are the finished handle from each side. I used some hardware left over from an Ikea sofa I took apart a long time ago, but I think anything similar would work.

I drilled the hole out big enough for the nut to be pressed into the wheel. It is a tight fit so it won't be loosening up on me (I hope). On the handle, I drilled it all the way through large enough for the threaded rod to fit loosely, but also opened it up on the end for the nut to be able to spin as well.

The last three pictures are just the nuts I have at either end of the section of threaded rod that I cut to length.

BTW, what part of the burbs? I'm in the NW part, up around Acworth.

Attachments

• 20150320_201208.jpg
    20150320_201208.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 285
  • 20150320_201219.jpg
    20150320_201219.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 296
  • 20150320_201247.jpg
    20150320_201247.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 20150320_201306.jpg
    20150320_201306.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 290
  • 20150320_201313.jpg
    20150320_201313.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 253

Fish30114

PFbarney that's a nice handle setup you've done, appreciate the share--how did you get the handle off of the wheel? I'm still hoping I can find a wheel/handle like on the Powermatic 3520, or something similar!

pfbarney

Thanks and you're welcome. I had to drill it out. I looked on McMaster-Carr's website a little and wasn't sure about anything they offered, so I just went with this. Makes cranking on that hand wheel a lot easier.

Fish30114

OK PF, that's what I was trying to figure out, I've taken the handwheel off and I couldn't get the handle loose for nothing, I actually put it in the vise between some leather pads and I clamped it down so hard in a pair of vise grips that I actually permanently indented the vinyl coating on the handle, and still couldn't get it to break loose! I hadn't thought of drilling it out--what size bit did you use.

Thanks--Don

PS, I live in the Canton area just north of Towne Lake. :)

pfbarney

I don't actually remember what size it was. I basically went as small as I could to make it break loose. If I remember correctly, there is an indentation on the back side where the handle is pressed in and I just grabbed a bit that would fit inside that indentation. When I added my "fancy" new handle I had to open the hole up so the t-nut would fit, but that was just based on the caliper readings of the hardware.

Do you go to any of the wood turning guild meetings? I belong to the Atlanta Woodturners Guild that meets at Woodcraft. Third Wednesday of each month.

Top Bottom