How might one best cut recesses inside a drilled

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

blank? My project consists of a drilled blank (either wood or plastic) with about a .6" ID. I want to use O-rings inside to retain a removable tube. I'd like the recesses for the O-rings to be at least .5" from either end of the blank. How would you go about cutting these? TIA for any suggestions!

Regards,
Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

You'll have to make your own tool much like a peppermill recess cutter.
Check out the Sorby Crushgrind tool for the concept.

mecompco

You'll have to make your own tool much like a peppermill recess cutter.
Check out the Sorby Crushgrind tool for the concept.

Herb, yes, I see the concept. I'd like to see a close-up of the cutting edge of that tool. I have some .125" 1080 high carbon steel on hand that I think would work--I don't see that there will be too much stress on the tool. I've also got some .25" 1084 steel if that might be more appropriate. I'm thinking I could get away with just hardening the tip and leaving the rest "soft". Thanks for the suggestion and I welcome any feedback on the design of the tool.

Michael

Herb G

Yeah, come to think of it, a cut nail would be perfect for this project.
I have a big box here if you can't find some locally.

mecompco

I appreciate that, Herb. If I can't find some locally, I'll hit you up. Honestly didn't know they made "hardened" nails but it sounds perfect for this little tool.

Michael

chartle

I appreciate that, Herb. If I can't find some locally, I'll hit you up. Honestly didn't know they made "hardened" nails but it sounds perfect for this little tool.

Michael

Masonry nail.

N72294063-2T.jpg

Herb G

Michael

Masonry nail.

N72294063-2T.jpg

Cut nails are case hardened too. A flat nail would be perfect for making such a tool.
A little work on a grinder to get the right profile & you're all set.

Attachments

• cut-nails.jpg
    cut-nails.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Yes, it can be done, but I'd have a few practice runs first. One run to establish the width and depth of the groove for the o-ring. Then probably taking the o-ring in and out a few times to sneak up on the acceptable grip on the tube.
I work a lot with o-ring gas seals and you will be surprised how much effort it may take to pull something out, after pushing it in. Will you be able to lubricate the o-ring with a smear of silicone grease or something?

Will your project perhaps allow a friction fit like you get on a slimline twist mech? A little dimple or two to offer resistance will be a lot easier to make.
You could put the dimples in the same place the 0-ring groove would have been rather than on the removable tube, so it won't be seen. Of course, I'm assuming you would have a tube within a tube...:wink:

Heck, even a very slight bend in the removable tube could work if your project allows :wink:

chartle

Michael

Masonry nail.

N72294063-2T.jpg

Cut nails are case hardened too. A flat nail would be perfect for making such a tool.
A little work on a grinder to get the right profile & you're all set.

If I understand the application, my thought is that you could grind the head in a way to create a single tooth 90 degrees to the shaft of the mail. Then the nail glued into a handle.

mecompco

Yes, it can be done, but I'd have a few practice runs first. One run to establish the width and depth of the groove for the o-ring. Then probably taking the o-ring in and out a few times to sneak up on the acceptable grip on the tube.
I work a lot with o-ring gas seals and you will be surprised how much effort it may take to pull something out, after pushing it in. Will you be able to lubricate the o-ring with a smear of silicone grease or something?

Will your project perhaps allow a friction fit like you get on a slimline twist mech? A little dimple or two to offer resistance will be a lot easier to make.
You could put the dimples in the same place the 0-ring groove would have been rather than on the removable tube, so it won't be seen. Of course, I'm assuming you would have a tube within a tube...:wink:

Heck, even a very slight bend in the removable tube could work if your project allows :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions. Inner tube will be straight glass, so no bends or any easy way to dimple.

I've also considered that perhaps a spring something like the PSI Seam Rippers use would work. I've made some of the PSI perfume atomizers and they use a larger version of that spring to retain the glass vial within.

Top Bottom