How to handle "fragile" wood angled pen blanks...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Most of you folks, should be receiving some of the Australian old Cypress pen blanks that, I sent away in my first Mr. Anonymous game, the majority selected the "Cross" cut blanks and I felt that, I should bring your attention (for those less experienced) that, any angled cut wood blank, is more fragile/difficult to work with than the normal "strait/with the grain" cut.

Some wood species become more fragile than others and all cut in cross gain are always more fragile and any diagonal cut ones however, there is no other cut that can be as visually more attractive, than the cross cut blanks (exceptions do apply...!).

I don't think that is necessary for me to spend the time explaining why cross cut wood blanks become so fragile, if necessary, I can explain all that in one other opportunity but for now, I just want to make sure that, all those that will receive those cross cut Cypress blanks, know how to handle them and not getting frustrated because they snap so easily.

The very first thing, is to avoid to drop them in a hard surface, they will shatter, at least in 2 pieces. Most of my cross cut blanks are made from the same area of the medium size log, there are only 2 boards I can cut from each log that can provide the grain, the way I want and there is, with the pith/center of the log, going into opposite directions. Quite often the pith is at the blanks center but, not always.

007.JPG

The second most important thing to do, is to remember that, any oily/resin woods, such as these, the very reason why they smell the way they do, makes the wood more fragile, each growth ring has a layer of oil/resin so, separation at those locations are a fact, if care is not taken.

Any diagonal wood cut pen blank that you are concerned about, before you start working it, should be treated the same way as these and many other cross cut pen wood blanks...!

It takes little time and effort, to strengthen these blanks in preparation to start making a pen, every step is important but, getting it to stay together to cut it into 2 pieces or keeping it together for drilling, regardless if they are 2 short pieces or one longer one, this small number of steps, will ensure that you are giving the fragile blank, every possibility to transform it into a magnificent pen, and not some bits and pieces of split/separated wood...!

All materials necessary are common materials and I'm sure, you will have no difficulty in putting together what you need...!

So, lets start this;

*-1) This is what you need.
- 4 x solid wood slices (I used dry Olive wood sapwood) at about 1 or 2mm thick (depending on the wood used) x 21mm (blank width and length)
- Thick CA (you don't want soaking, you need the CA to stay at the surface to bond the wood slices)
- Accelerator
- Masking tape
011.JPG 008.JPG

*-2) Clean any wax, paint or any other protective coating from the blanks surfaces (sander)
010.JPG

*-3) Start gluing the wood slices on the end-grain of the blank, first. Make sure you have position the blanks as you want to appear in the pen, mark it and then transfer those marks into the slice you just glued. Maintaining the same blank position on your work table (bandsaw table to me...!:biggrin:).
013.JPG
I spray the wood slice side that will be in contact with the CA, with some accelerator, the bond is instantaneous so, make sure you get it in the right position on contact...!

*-4) After the 2 end-grain side are done, take it to the sander and flat any wood slice overlap.
014.JPG
Glue the other 2 slices into the blanks' other sides
015.JPG

*-5) At this stage, you have to decide if you want to use the masking tape or not, I sure advise that you do, the glue can fail slightly on the oily wood, the tape will make sure, everything stays together, even though will not avoid the wood to separate, if the glue fails miserably and your drill bit gets a catch while drilling regardless if using a drill vice or the lathe, those sort of forces can only be stopped with a good adhesion from the wood slice to the blanks 4 surfaces...!
016.JPG
018.JPG

*-6) From here on, you proceed with the same steps as you would do in any "normal" blank
017.JPG

Well, this was a quick tutorial on this issue, I know of many fellow pen turners that, would not use anything than straight cut wood blanks, due to difficulties that were experienced in, making a pen out of a diagonal and particularly any cross cut wood blank however, and since I explain that to them , they were certainly missing out on some of the most beautiful wood blanks they could ever use, and explain to them these same steps, they are all of a certain, using more cross and diagonal cut wood blanks than, anything else. Something should have worked, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

Best of luck...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi,

I should have went a step further, drill one blanks and blue a brass tube on it, and reinforce the importance of given the drilled hole a good soaking with thin/soaking CA, left it dry and then, put the drill bit through it again to clean/smooth it and bring it to the correct size again, as I demonstrated with the tutorial on the Banksia hairy pods.

Before the blank(s) are taken to the lathe, is very crucial on these fragile blanks that you strengthen the wood where the tube will be glued to, remember that, the wood in these cuts are like fish scales, one on top of the other, protecting the outside of the blank fro the drilling forces that always work from the inside out, when turning the outside and after the wood slices are shaved off

Will be nothing to maintain/keep those "fish scales" to be pulled/ripped out from the brass tube as you turn it unless, the 2mm or so that the super thin CA penetrated when the drilled hole was soaked, that would be the amount of wood that will stay in the pen/tube, all those scales have been bonded together with the CA soaking, complemented with the gluing of the tube to the wood that has been strengthened therefore, providing the best adhesion possible to a clean tube

This is in fact, all part of the preparation process to success...!:wink::biggrin:

PS: All about a 5 minutes of extra work for the whole process...!:)

Cheers
George

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
To further support what George is saying, realize that the wood that will become the pen is the wood closest to the hole. So, putting thin CA in the hole to reinforce this wood is, in fact reinforcing the final pen, where you are, otherwise most likely to have a "blow out".

One coating of CA is good, two or three at 24 hour intervals can't hurt!!

ALSO remember to be certain the glue is fully cured before you redrill the hole. Heat is an accelerator for CA---drilling creates heat--- "stuck" drill bit can easily result!!

Good turning!!
Ed

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks George & Ed - this is great information.

I got some x-cut ERC blanks a couple of months ago and tried to turn one of them in the usual manner. I knew the x-cut blank would be more fragile than a regular blank, so I tried to be very careful, but it still blew out when I got close to the final diameter.
I knew I would have to strengthen the wood somehow before I tried another one, but I hadn't yet decided how to best to that.

I will definitely try your suggestions & will experiment with some of my ERC blanks before I tackle your rare cypress blanks.

Edgar

sbwertz

George, everything you have said also applies to the mulberry crown blanks I like to turn. They are not exactly crosscut...since this is all scar tissue where many, many small branches have been cut off the tree over time, the grain goes in every direction...for about an inch! So it can be straight grain on one end and cross cut on the other, and diagonal in between...with voids! It is not as critical to sheathe the outside before drilling, but it is critical to soak the drilled hole with thin CA before gluing in the blank...and be SURE to rough up that tube for good adhesion or the blank will blow out every time. Adding thin CA to the outside as you get close to final diameter helps, too.

Since I do a lot of infilling with turquoise, I end up with a blank that is very hard in one spot and it may be soft an pithy in another. Tricky stuff!

Top Bottom