How to get cutter straight

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

How do I hold the carbide cutter straight while I tighten the screw down without damaging the edges of the cutter? Every time I try to tighten the screw the cutter wants to twist sideways.
b704d3a839237c44bd81e88793ff318a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I simply hold an edge down on my bench while I tighten the screw. I don't think one touch on a wooden surface is going to dull the cutter.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Your cutter may be too small for your tool. You can use a small drop of CA to hold the cutter straight.

tbfoto

I simply hold an edge down on my bench while I tighten the screw. I don't think one touch on a wooden surface is going to dull the cutter.

Never thought of turning the tool sideways on the bench to tighten the screw. That should solve the issue. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Missyg15

I agree with the size thing. I think that may be a pen tool blade on a full sized tool. You probably can use it this way with the tips to get it straight. Once you run out of those blades, get the size to fit your tool and you shouldn't have this problem.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

leehljp

Member Liaison
That is just about the angle that I like mine. I do not like holding cutting tools (chisels) straight on, particularly in finishing.

Over the years when I have had to align something without a jig or seat for something to "sit in", I would back the item (in this case the insert) counter clockwise about 15° and then tighten. It would tighten at the spot needed; if not re-try with a + or - of a degree or two.

However, laying against the bench for this situation is probably the best. This forum is full of people with insight into problem solving!

Magicbob

The cutter and the screw are correct.
That bar will accept 15mm square and radiused cutters as well as 16 & 18 mm round

tbfoto

The cutter and the screw are correct.
That bar will accept 15mm square and radiused cutters as well as 16 & 18 mm round

Magicbod is correct. I have no issue with the screw at all. The screw size is fine. I simply laid the tool on its side then tightened the screw down. Work out just fine.
BOB..... I used the tool for the first time last night and and again this morning.....it cuts GREAT!
I did not mention the tool brand in my first posting because it was not important to my question.
I would HIGHLY recommend the T SHADOW line of tools to anyone.

Top Bottom