How does a chuck attach to the headstock?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cbb007

Hi All,
I am resuming my pen making hobby after a layoff of about five years because life got in the way.
I just bought a Turncrafter Commander KWL-1018 and I want to get a chuck for the headstock. I have two questions : 1) what is the best chuck for under $100, and 2) how does the chuck attach to the headstock?
My lathe is an MT2.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Akula

In that $100 range I would look at Nova.

Some savvy shopping might get you into a Oneway...I say might, been a log time since I bought a chuck. Grizzly has a small one...I like the looks of it but never used one (about $60)

They screw on

cbb007

I used to use a mini lathe and the tailstock on it will not stay where it is supposed to. I want a chuck because I want to start drilling blanks on the lathe.
I just ordered a NOVA 48202 G3 and the adapter on Amazon.
Thanks for the replies.

jttheclockman

I used to use a mini lathe and the tailstock on it will not stay where it is supposed to. I want a chuck because I want to start drilling blanks on the lathe.
Thanks for the replies.

Just for your info you may want to order these.

www.amazon.com/NOVA-6034-Pen-Plus-J...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X3DH6QVRFGQ5QSC6KWY9

Now we have a few people here including myself that have ordered these pen jaws and are having some problems with them. We are trying to get this cleared up from the distributer.

I use to suggest the pen chuck from PSI but that too has come about with issues. If you find the recent threads posted here you can read about this. Good luck.

By the way the other method to drill on the lathe is to use a collet chuck but you would need to turn your blank round before drilling. That is a sure accurate way of drilling.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

www.amazon.com/NOVA-6034-Pen-Plus-J...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X3DH6QVRFGQ5QSC6KWY9

Now we have a few people here including myself that have ordered these pen jaws and are having some problems with them. We are trying to get this cleared up from the distributer.

I use to suggest the pen chuck from PSI but that too has come about with issues. If you find the recent threads posted here you can read about this. Good luck.

By the way the other method to drill on the lathe is to use a collet chuck but you would need to turn your blank round before drilling. That is a sure accurate way of drilling.

John, if you don't mind, could you tell us the problems? I have these jaws and want to know what to look out for. Other than the inside screws coming loose on occasion (never the outside ones though), I haven't noticed any problems. I just check them regularly if I'm drilling more than one blank at a time. Thanks.

jttheclockman

Thanks for the replies.

John, if you don't mind, could you tell us the problems? I have these jaws and want to know what to look out for. Other than the inside screws coming loose on occasion (never the outside ones though), I haven't noticed any problems. I just check them regularly if I'm drilling more than one blank at a time. Thanks.

Here you go Jay

www.penturners.org/forum/f30/nova-g3-pen-jaws-144726/

cbb007

I am now using my new chuck and jaws as specified above and am extremely happy with them. I was never able to drill a satisfactory hole with my drill press, but now my holes turn out great.

Now I have another problem when drilling my blanks ... When the bit exits the blank I get a blowout every time, to varying degrees. I try to exit slowly, but it still happens. So far, the bits I have used have been standard grind. Would a brad point fix the problem?

On a drill press, I can put a scrap piece of wood under the blank, what can I do on the lathe?

mecompco

I am now using my new chuck and jaws as specified above and am extremely happy with them. I was never able to drill a satisfactory hole with my drill press, but now my holes turn out great.

Now I have another problem when drilling my blanks ... When the bit exits the blank I get a blowout every time, to varying degrees. I try to exit slowly, but it still happens. So far, the bits I have used have been standard grind. Would a brad point fix the problem?

On a drill press, I can put a scrap piece of wood under the blank, what can I do on the lathe?

This problem is easily solved (and I had to learn it the hard way)--simply don't let the bit exit the blank. Drill to the depth you need, remove the blank from the chuck, and cut to proper length. You'll never have a blowout again.

Regards,
Michael

stonepecker

Have your blanks a little longer and stop before you go through.
Measure your tube again the blank and mark it.
Then on a bandsaw. cut off the closed end and expose the hole.

Result.....No blowouts.
(Thank you Ed from Exotic Blanks for this lesson to me)

Good luck.

jttheclockman

I answered this in your other post on this but it bares repeating. Sometimes it is impossible to leave material to be cut off if you do not drill all the way through. This could be due to a slightly longer kit or the blank is shorter. So another method is to just glue a piece of scrap wood to the end to extend it and then cut off latter.

Top Bottom