how do you use your byrnes table saw?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikeyt

I just got my new byrnes table saw and love it. I want to do segmenting and other fun projects. My question is for those who have a byrnes table saw what is the best way to rip pen blanks? I have the grr-ripper which seems better then a push stick. Are there other ways or ideas when cutting pen blanks and 3/4" inch stock.
I like my fingers and don't want to lose any.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
EVERYONE is warned when they come here that pen turning is a deeeeeep hole. That said, now that you have a byrnes TS, you need a thickness sander! :biggrin: :biggrin: :rolleyes:

I am sure since you have a gripper, you know to adjust the height of the blade only to about 1/16 to 1/8" above the height of the blank being cut. Some TS users like using a full blade so that the blade is aiming downward, reducing kickback, but that also runs a higher risk of getting severe cuts.

When you can, cut longer 3/4 cuts such as 12" or 18" or 24 inch long pieces then cut them to length. Longer rip pieces, versus short rips are safer, IMO.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I agree with Hank on the thickness sander - I use it all the time for my segmenting.

I use a cheap small file that I ground the tip to a pin point, and use it to very slightly push the piece through, but more importantly to pull the piece to the right as soon as it clears the blade.

I have also made a few guides and fence attachments.

I also have a GRRipper for thicker stock.

Attachments

• IMG_3591.jpg
    IMG_3591.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_3593.jpg
    IMG_3593.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

jdmyers4

I bought my Byrnes table saw a number of years ago, and it's mostly been sitting aside since I haven't done any pens for a number of years. I've bought a cabinet saw with sliding table since then. I've started making boxes now and use my big saw most of the time. HOWEVER, I'm glad I have my Byrnes TS because it has come in very handy for cutting small strips for inlay for my boxes - something that would not be safe to do with my big saw. The small kerf on the Byrnes blades also cuts down on waste.

greenacres2

EVERYONE is warned when they come here that pen turning is a deeeeeep hole. That said, now that you have a byrnes TS, you need a thickness sander! :biggrin: :biggrin: :rolleyes:

I am sure since you have a gripper, you know to adjust the height of the blade only to about 1/16 to 1/8" above the height of the blank being cut. Some TS users like using a full blade so that the blade is aiming downward, reducing kickback, but that also runs a higher risk of getting severe cuts.

When you can, cut longer 3/4 cuts such as 12" or 18" or 24 inch long pieces then cut them to length. Longer rip pieces, versus short rips are safer, IMO.

Beyond longer rips being safer, I get more mileage out of my wood that way. I turn a lot of single barrel pens, so if I only need 2" for a bolt action, or 3" for Le Roi Elegant--cutting it from an 18" stick gives me more opportunity to make use of a higher percentage of wood. I hate having a 1/2" piece of spalted maple left.
earl

Top Bottom