How do ya'll screw in screws with limited clearance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

So I've got a bunch of peppermills to make and I have a challenge with these particular model ones I need to make--they have a small #4 screw that you have to screw in and there is very limited clearance above the screw head--if you try to use a longer screwdriver-or even a standard stubby one, you have to come into the screw at a side angle and it is very tough to screw the screw in, even if you have predrilled holes for it--so I was wanting to ask what you folks use to screw in screws like this?? I have one of those cheapy style bent shank screwdrivers--.25 cent item--and I can't drive the screws with this style item.

Open to any and all input--

Thanks--Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

So I've got a bunch of peppermills to make and I have a challenge with these particular model ones I need to make--they have a small #4 screw that you have to screw in and there is very limited clearance above the screw head--if you try to use a longer screwdriver-or even a standard stubby one, you have to come into the screw at a side angle and it is very tough to screw the screw in, even if you have predrilled holes for it--so I was wanting to ask what you folks use to screw in screws like this?? I have one of those cheapy style bent shank screwdrivers--.25 cent item--and I can't drive the screws with this style item.

Open to any and all input--

Thanks--Don

I would use a ratchet box wrench and a srewdriver tip that fits the head of the screw. They actually have ratchet screwdrivers designed for this too. Harbor freight or any tool place carries them. Not sure how much room you have around the screw and it would be nice to see a photo when a question like this gets asked. But that is my off the cuff answer. I use that method many times. You could get into sockets too but again need to see.

Low profile screw driver.

https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Profile-Ratchet-Quarters-Screwdriver/dp/B07D4DZB1T/ref=asc_df_B07D4DZB1T/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvra

Last edited:

Fish30114

Thanks JT, I will try and post a picture when I get a chance--I'm pretty picture ignorant if it's past taking and sending it from my i-Phone unfortunately...

Appreciate the input-Don

Jolly Red

I pre-drill for the screw, then use a tool with prongs for holding jewels to get a turn or two on the screw. Then I use jewelers screwdrivers to finish turning in the screw. A little wax on the screw helps also.

Top Bottom