HOW do I center the spindle on a JET 1221VS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

Ok, Gents,

My 1221vs is just out of center on the order of <1/16 in the horizontal plane. I want to know how do I center it. I have a nova double sided mt2 to load into the tail stock and the spindle, but I do not know which screws to loosen? I've included 2 pictures, not sure if I loosen the 4 screws on the bottom holding the head in place (3) or do I loosen the 3 screws holding the spindle (figure 30)?

Please let me know. Thank you

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LOIBLB

After looking at mine I would first try the 4 screws at the bottom. Mark the current location before work if possible to gauge any progress. A call to Jet may do some good. Mine is spot on

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

Before you start loosening screws and shimming (or whatever), you might want to be sure your lathe feet are adjusted so the lathe is completely level and the ways are not "twisted". If the feet are slightly out of adjustment, the lathe may seem stable and level, but the ways may have flexed just a tiny bit. This can result in a misalignment between head and tail stock.

Given the size of your lathe, this may not be the issue (the more massive the lathe, the more likely an issue). But it can't hurt to check.

Here's a link to an old publication (aimed a much more massive lathes) that you might find useful.

http://www.wswells.com/data/howto/H-3.pdf

Ed

RobS

Called jet, kind courteous as always:

1) ensure the bed is level and sitting on a level plane

2) if 1 does not fix it, you loosen the 4 screws.

Top Bottom