How to - carbide tip turning tool - Page 4 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #31 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Thanks for the link to the website. I just found out that Cap'n Eddie lives a few blocks from me. Small world!! I've emailed him yesterday about making some pens for Freedom Pen project. I just emailed him again... hopefully, just maybe, I can get some time to learn face to face from someone who knows their stuff.
LagniappeRob is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #32 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default How to - carbide tip turning tool

I made my own but I don't call it "my version of..", I guess at most it would be "an alternative to.." To me, it is just my carbide lathe tool.

Just thought I would add that little bit.

Ray
ironman123 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #33 (permalink)

Photos: 1

That's a great source for the square carbide inserts. Thanks for posting it.

I just finished a tool holder for carbide inserts last week. I used some 5/8 round stock because I didn't have any square stock on hand and also the metal lathe I can use has a three jaw chuck and not a 4 jaw chuck.

I milled a flat on the 5/8 portion of the tool holder and left it at that.
Attached Thumbnails
woodchuck-tool1a.jpg   woodchuck-tool1b-1.jpg  
jjjaworski is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #34 (permalink)

Good for you. I also have made carbide turning tools. My cost, less handle, is about $10.00. I used standard cold rolled square stock. But it is so tough to drill I will use mild hot rolled next time. Your tips are less expensive than my source. Thanks for the...uh...tip....I'll go to your sources next time.
Rifleman1776 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
I made mine from the HF prybars and they work great. Even the handle is comfortable to me.
Lee they don't have that much temper as I cut the end off ewoth a hacksaw and finished the rest with a dremel cutoff wheel. Best tool I have and most used.
What brand drill and taps did you use. I purchased Irwin brand at HD and the 6-32 tap broke in the hole. The drill bit for the 10-24 did not even make a dent in the prybar, it just started glowing and melted the end. And yes I know how to drill and tap a hole. I have done it for years.
miamited is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #36 (permalink)

Folks dont forget about amazon. I buy all my metal on amazon which is usually cheaper than Grainger.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #37 (permalink)

Photos: 35

Maybe you would ruffle less panties if you said you based your design off an Easy Wood tool.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #38 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilrock View Post
Maybe you would ruffle less panties if you said you based your design off an Easy Wood tool.
Unless you really like getting letters from Craig Jackson's attorney, I wouldn't use that phrase, "Based your design off an Easy Wood Tool". . Trust me his attorney and I have exchanged several letters. but I'm still here Also the Chinese Carbide from Global isn't as durable as the German carbide, but it is about a1/3 the price.
bitshird is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #39 (permalink)

Photos: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitshird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilrock View Post
Unless you really like getting letters from Craig Jackson's attorney, I wouldn't use that phrase, "Based your design off an Easy Wood Tool". . Trust me his attorney and I have exchanged several letters. but I'm still here Also the Chinese Carbide from Global isn't as durable as the German carbide, but it is about a1/3 the price.
I'm allowed to make anything I want and call it anything I want for personal use.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #40 (permalink)

Try using hot rolled steel.
Cold roll stresses up when it's processed.
Mill finish is not pretty but a few minutes on a belt sander will improve that a lot.
finally put a little gun Blueing on it - i like the dark finish ti helps with the rust.
psad is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads