International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members
 
Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.


Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
 
wood-of-1kind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Photos: 273

Default

The carbide inserts are 30 degrees and that is the best 'angle' to cut wood blanks and even acrylics. The 'round' 18mm (3/4") solid carbide inserts are also manufactured to cut at a 30 degree angle.
__________________
SKOGGER & ROTONDO - "original" choice for carbide pen tools.
http://www.wood-of-1-kind.webs.com/
wood-of-1kind is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
 
bitshird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Adamsville, TN, USA.
Posts: 10,232
Photos: 61

Default

Nice looking tool, but does the round insert cut well or does it leave a pretty rough surface, with a good insert you shouldn't need to do much sanding, but the inserts need a 30 degree relief for the best cutting results, which I always thought was the best reason to use carbide but I may be mistaken. the 7 degrees on your 12mm round looks like it would leave a pretty rough surface. I hate sanding almost as much as sharpening, actually I would rather sharpen my tools than sand the wood. (less dust in my lungs)
Likes: (2)
bitshird is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
 
reiddog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 564
Photos: 14

Default

Does anyone on the site sell these all up round with a handle? Been wanting to try these, but not willing to pay the $85 plus for the massed produced catalog cutters.
reiddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Product Reviews Manager
Local Chapter Coordinator
 
wolftat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fairfield, CT, USA.
Photos: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiddog1 View Post
Does anyone on the site sell these all up round with a handle? Been wanting to try these, but not willing to pay the $85 plus for the massed produced catalog cutters.
Check olut this place, great tools, easy to deal with.

__________________
Support your local Devil Dog.
Conquering all obstacles, both large and small, I shall never quit. To quit, to surrender, to give up is to fail.

New blanks are coming out soon

See Resin Saver Molds at
http://www.etsy.com/listing/15199854...earch_type=all
wolftat is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: high desert CA
Posts: 32
Photos: 0

Default

Reiddog - Captain Eddie in your neck of the woods:

Big Guy Productions - Carbide Cutting Tools

>>>Rod<<<
rkenly is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
 
jjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Centerville, OH, USA
Posts: 255
Photos: 0

Default surface

With the square bits, the surface isn't too bad. That is:
  • treating it like a parting tool to quickly turn down to size works well, leaves a smooth surface.
  • treating it like a scraper/parting tool, sweeping left/right, will leave "fur" (like you are cutting unsupported grain), because the corners catch -- unless you are perfect on maintaining perpendicular
  • treating it like a skew, riding the bevel and canting 45 degrees, will live a nice and smooth surface.

So, I'm thinking the radiused corners and/or the radiused edge versions of the square cutters might be a lot better.

I've not used the round cutter, as I just got the right set screw, tap, and drill bit today. I just made the tool (picts!)


Picts =
(1) close of of the 3 tools: round, and 2 square cutters; and
http://i.imgur.com/0RaAF.jpg

(2) wider view of the tall tools in my organizer/holder.
http://i.imgur.com/3bWEu.jpg




-- joe



Quote:
Originally Posted by bitshird View Post
Nice looking tool, but does the round insert cut well or does it leave a pretty rough surface, with a good insert you shouldn't need to do much sanding, but the inserts need a 30 degree relief for the best cutting results, which I always thought was the best reason to use carbide but I may be mistaken. the 7 degrees on your 12mm round looks like it would leave a pretty rough surface. I hate sanding almost as much as sharpening, actually I would rather sharpen my tools than sand the wood. (less dust in my lungs)
jjudge is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 268
Photos: 0

Default

I have a question for you. I have a 1/2" by 1/2" x 6" piece of aluminum. Do you foresee any issues with using that to make my own version of a pen pro instead of SS?
grz5 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
 
bitshird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Adamsville, TN, USA.
Posts: 10,232
Photos: 61

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grz5 View Post
I have a question for you. I have a 1/2" by 1/2" x 6" piece of aluminum. Do you foresee any issues with using that to make my own version of a pen pro instead of SS?
I would appreciate it if you would not use the Pen Pro name in describing your tool, I've already had this discussion with Crafts USA and Mr. Nish sent me a very nice letter and compensation. Not trying to be a Hard A$$ but I've spent a lot of time and money developing and establishing it as a brand name, I'm sure you understand!!
Thanks
Ken Ferrell
__________________
Ken Ferrell
Maker of the world famous Woodchuck Pen Pro
"Sharper-Faster- Easier
bitshird is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
 
glycerine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oakton, VA
Posts: 3,451
Photos: 96

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjudge View Post
With the square bits, the surface isn't too bad. That is:
  • treating it like a parting tool to quickly turn down to size works well, leaves a smooth surface.
  • treating it like a scraper/parting tool, sweeping left/right, will leave "fur" (like you are cutting unsupported grain), because the corners catch -- unless you are perfect on maintaining perpendicular
  • treating it like a skew, riding the bevel and canting 45 degrees, will live a nice and smooth surface.
So, I'm thinking the radiused corners and/or the radiused edge versions of the square cutters might be a lot better.

I've not used the round cutter, as I just got the right set screw, tap, and drill bit today. I just made the tool (picts!)


Picts =
(1) close of of the 3 tools: round, and 2 square cutters; and
http://i.imgur.com/0RaAF.jpg

(2) wider view of the tall tools in my organizer/holder.
http://i.imgur.com/3bWEu.jpg




-- joe



Quote:
Originally Posted by bitshird View Post
Nice looking tool, but does the round insert cut well or does it leave a pretty rough surface, with a good insert you shouldn't need to do much sanding, but the inserts need a 30 degree relief for the best cutting results, which I always thought was the best reason to use carbide but I may be mistaken. the 7 degrees on your 12mm round looks like it would leave a pretty rough surface. I hate sanding almost as much as sharpening, actually I would rather sharpen my tools than sand the wood. (less dust in my lungs)
I use the radiused cornered ones on mine and they work great. I can't compare to the square corners or full round because I haven't used those... I made a tool similar to yours using 1/2 inch steel and got a little plastic box of 10 inserts for around $15. I've been using mine almost a year now and have probably only used 3 or 4 of the inserts. I just switch after all of the edges "feel" like they are getting dull. I know you can sharpen (or hone them) with a diamond stone, but I haven't even tried that yet. I probably will someday when I use up all of the new ones that I have...
homemade carbide insert tool
glycerine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
 
glycerine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oakton, VA
Posts: 3,451
Photos: 96

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitshird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grz5 View Post
I have a question for you. I have a 1/2" by 1/2" x 6" piece of aluminum. Do you foresee any issues with using that to make my own version of a pen pro instead of SS?
I would appreciate it if you would not use the Pen Pro name in describing your tool, I've already had this discussion with Crafts USA and Mr. Nish sent me a very nice letter and compensation. Not trying to be a Hard A$$ but I've spent a lot of time and money developing and establishing it as a brand name, I'm sure you understand!!
Thanks
Ken Ferrell
He DID say that he wanted to make his own VERSION of a pen pro, so he was actually referring to YOUR tool, not his own. I would take that as a compliment!
glycerine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
carbide, howto, tool

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/how-carbide-tip-turning-tool-91939/
Posted By For Type Date
Just got my first lathe. What are the top 10 resources for me to get started? : turning This thread Refback 01-03-2013 08:48 PM
Lathe of your Dreams - by terryR @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community This thread Refback 12-06-2012 09:29 PM
Easy Wood Tool Replaceable Cutter Heads - by McLeanVA @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community This thread Refback 12-04-2012 07:48 PM
Carbide lathe tools-Ever make your own? - by StumpyNubs @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community This thread Refback 02-09-2012 10:03 AM
Carbide Tipped Turning Tool - by Jeremy Greiner @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community This thread Refback 02-09-2012 09:52 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

Content Copyright © 2003-2014 by Penturners.org, LLC; All Rights Reserved
Terms Of Service   Acceptable Use Policy