How to adjust the pen point on a Pressed in transmssion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

There have been queries about how to fix a transmission that is pressed in too far. You can knock out the nib and then move the transmission, but there is a way to adjust the transmission without removing the nib. I updated the wiki article below to include instructions in how to do this. This will work with any pressed in transmission.

http://www.penturners.org/wiki/Disassemble_a_Pen

PS. Any member of IAP can update or add to the IAP Wiki. It is no more difficult than creating a document or message here on IAP. There is also a "sandbox" where you can experiment. ENJOY!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bfrazier

This is the most intelligent method for this type of correction. Sometimes the easiest method it overlooked. Early on a had a bit of trouble getting the transmissions set properly and it caused me some frustration, I wish I had this little trick in my "Felix the Cat bag" then. Thank you!

low_48

Looks like some danger in cracking a CA finish, or damaging the blank when prying like that. I guess that has never happened for you? How about slipping on a smaller bushing first before the washer so there would be no chance of loading the edge of the blank?

randyrls

Looks like some danger in cracking a CA finish, or damaging the blank when prying like that. I guess that has never happened for you? How about slipping on a smaller bushing first before the washer so there would be no chance of loading the edge of the blank?

Rich; Thanks for the idea! Went down to the shop and tried a bushing. Works GREAT! Although the photo shows only one screw driver, you need two, one on each side. I was just lazy and didn't want to go and setup my tripod. :frown: The washer against the blank is a close fit, but the idea of using a bushing is a good one. You still need the washer to give the screwdriver blade a better pry surface. I may have to update the article.

Top Bottom