HF Pressure Pot Leaking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

I've seen several references to pressure pots leaking, even in a couple of the library files about building pressure pots. I cannot get a solid seal on my HF pressure pot. When I use it as a vacuum chamber, I have a gasketed piece of 3/4" plexi that seals just fine.

But when I use the lid that came with it under pressure, there's one section I cannot get to seal fully. There seems to be a slight "bump" on the top edge of the pot rim. Has anyone figured out a good way to gasket these lids to get a better seal?

Thanks,

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

It sounds strange that is not leaking from the pot rim when used as a vacuum chamber, you should be able to see it the pot rim has a straight top edge, any bulges will be very noticeable.

Most of the common pots used for pressure pots our days, leak from the lid but in the vast majority of cases is not the gasket, the accessories that come with the lid are prone to leak if not sealed right, and you may be able to remove most of them and simplify the system, the less joints the better.

If you are tightening the lid properly, there is, using the same system as you do when putting a tyre on a vehicle, cross nuts to firm, repeat the other way (cross) with sufficient force that in most cases, a naked hand is not able so, one of many sorts of levers can be made to give it sufficient torque without hurting your hands however, too much torque is not good either.

I suggest you find exactly from where the leak is coming from by pressuring the pot and put in a tank/tab/plastic container deep enough so that you can watch the air bubbles coming out.

If the rubber seal is still in good condition, I suggest you take it out, clean the seal and the place the seal goes with some acetone or Methylate spirits then, use some Vaseline to rub on the seal both sides and some on where the seal seats, just make sure that when putting the lid on, the pot edge is clean, a little vaseline on it doesn't hurt either. Many pot leaks have been repaired by this method.

Good luck,

Cheers
George

frank123

Coat it with silicone plumbers grease and see if it seals.

Find the leak to see if it is all around or just on one place the way a tire shop finds a tire leak by putting it in a big bucket of water or using soapy water while it is under pressure and looking for the leak.

If it is just a bump somewhere on the rim, some filing and sanding the bump down may be in order.

KBs Pensnmore

Going by your reference to a bump, it sounds as if it's been dropped at some stage. I'd be inclined to try to straighten out the bump, put the damaged area under one of the clamp bolts tighten it down, then do the others, hopefully this will straighten the bump out.
Don't try to hammer it out, you could end up damaging it.
Kryn

Last edited:
Top Bottom