HF mini cut off saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

I bought the little HF saw to cut brass tubes and after 20 cuts, the saw bogs down and will not cut all the way through a tube. I was 5 days past the 90 day return and I asked if I could get a discount on a replacement. They gave me a full refund!:):)

My questions are, did I get an bad saw? Should I get a new one, or look for a different solution? I have to make hundreds of cuts and need something reliable and sturdy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

imaturner

you might try a arrow cut off saw from an archery store or web sight 3 rivers archery or lancaster archery supply they cut alum and carbon arrows probably around $100 or so

fisherhahn

This is kind of funny, but as someone who is into archery as well as turning, on all my archery forums guys ask about arrow cut off saws from places like 3 rivers and are always directed to the HF option. They always suggest changing the blade that comes with it to a cut off wheel instead. I don't know if that would help it is usually to get a cleaner cut on carbon arrow shafts. Haven't read anything bad about their life span until now.

m4skinner

I bought the little HF saw to cut brass tubes and after 20 cuts, the saw bogs down and will not cut all the way through a tube. I was 5 days past the 90 day return and I asked if I could get a discount on a replacement. They gave me a full refund!:):)

My questions are, did I get an bad saw? Should I get a new one, or look for a different solution? I have to make hundreds of cuts and need something reliable and sturdy.

must be just a bad one, I have the same one and have had it over 2 yrs and have cut a ton of tubes.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

must be just a bad one, I have the same one and have had it over 2 yrs and have cut a ton of tubes.

Same here, I've had mine for several years and cut many tubes and my thumb with no problem (ouch):eek::doctor:. I have changed the blade several times.

magpens

They always suggest changing the blade that comes with it to a cut off wheel instead.

I have used both a carbide-tipped steel blade and a black cut off wheel (both about 4").

In my experience the carbide-tipped steel blade gave a MUCH cleaner cut.

Last edited:

its_virgil

I cut lots of tubes also for making snake blanks. I get as many sizes as I can in 10" lengths. i have the HF cut off saw. It is 4 or 5 yrs old and is quite satisfactory. I too change the blade often. No problems with mine.
Don

Woodchipper

Haven't had occasion to cut tubes, yet. But after I use the pen mill, I chamfer the inside of the tube lightly with a chamfering tool I use for reloading brass cartridges. Removes any small burrs. I then blow it out with a short blast of canned air for computers, etc.

its_virgil

Oh no...I said that word again! I will try to do better.
Don

I cut lots of tubes also for making snake blanks. I get as many sizes as I can in 10" lengths. i have the HF cut off saw. It is 4 or 5 yrs old and is quite satisfactory. I too change the blade often. No problems with mine.
Don
Did you have to say snakes. :eek:

Top Bottom