HF 10x18 wood lathe $180

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I bought a HF 10x18 wood lathe today for $180 ($240 less 25% coupon). I'm going to take it apart and use the parts in another non-turning project, but for $180 it looks like it might be decent for pen making and other small work for someone on a tight budget. Looks like the same lathe that sells for a couple hundred more with different name plates. 25% coupons are good through Sunday.

Just FYI, not a recommendation.

Ed

dogcatcher

With a good cross slide it makes a pretty good horizontal milling machine. All that is needed is the cross slide, material mount with vertical movement and collet chuck with milling bits.

magpens

dogcatcher ...

Since you mentioned this, you sound like you may know ...

... can one buy the cross slide ? ... what about the fittings to attach to the lathe bed ? ... and the material mount (I think I have seen that part - Taig has one) ?

I have often thought it would be nice to have a moderate-capability horizontal mill and this seems like a relatively inexpensive way to get one

dogcatcher

You can modify a cross slide to fit. A better option would be to set up a Taig lathe. I believe if you can find a cross slide for a Delta 1460 lathe, it will also work. The bad part is the travel is limited to the slides movement, while on a Taig, although smaller, it will slide left and right on the bed ways and keep in line.

My first set up was a junker wood lathe with a small cross slide. Every time I used it, it took awhile to true up the cross slide. The cross slide came from Enco about 25 years ago. Finally I spent the money and bought a Taig, easy to work with and the milling attachment combined with the cross slide and later a compound attachment was the better.

Top Bottom