Hey! It's a start

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hey Chuck, for those of us living in the civilized and gentle side of the planet, :biggrin:, please could you point out what the Hurricane Ties are?:confused:

You know......a real man wouldn't let a bit of wind or rain stop him from building his Man-Cave.....:rotfl:
Civilized???? Gentle???? You must be in Australia :biggrin::tongue: Us REAL men are sometimes subject to the demands of the insurance company declarations.:rolleyes: Anyways...here are the Hurricane ties I used. Guaranteed to stop hurricane damage. :biggrin::rolleyes: Yes, we did get some tarps over it. Forecasting severe storms in just 20 minutes from now. Then....I'll have to chase down the tarps. :redface::rolleyes: Thanks Steven!

Attachments

• IMG_1536 (2).jpg
    IMG_1536 (2).jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1535 (2).jpg
    IMG_1535 (2).jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1534 (2).jpg
    IMG_1534 (2).jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 283
Last year we got the roof re-shingled and the installer/salesman was showing us different shingles and explaining the benefits. One shingle had a wind rating of about 160mph and the other was hurricane rated at like 186mph, and had a significant difference in the cost. My wife was leaning towards the hurricane rated shingle and I asked her why, did dhe like the color or style better. She responded well if the winds get that high the shingles would stay on. My reply was if the winds here get that high (southern Indiana) the shingles staying on the roof is not much good if the roof itself is down the road....

Mike

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You did use galvanized ring shank nails Right Chuck/
YES!! Just got their first test. Got hammered this afternoon with high winds RAIN, 1" hail and, RAIN!! Winds have calmed down for now. The tarp shifted with the wind. One corner came loose and, the valleys filled with rain outside the walls which, pulled the tarp to one side of the shed. Got the corner back over and, lashed it down best I could. Grabbed the squeegee and, pushed the water out the door opening. Went outside and, pushed up the corner of the tarp that was filling with water and, pulling the tarp to that side of the shed and, got my 2nd shower for the day.

This storm system stretches all the way past Champaign, Illinois. I really don't think I want to go back out there again. But, I might.:rolleyes:

Haynie

Rain? Hmmmm.....Not sure I remember what that is. Wind, we have. Everyday we have wind. I am sick and tired of wind.

It looks like in spite of the rain and weather problems you are making good progress Chuck. Keep on going and you will have your new shop done in no time.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Rain? Hmmmm.....Not sure I remember what that is. Wind, we have. Everyday we have wind. I am sick and tired of wind.
Been watching the conditions in AZ when I can. Bad deal.

It looks like in spite of the rain and weather problems you are making good progress Chuck. Keep on going and you will have your new shop done in no time.
Thanks Mike. It is slow going but, we're making progress now. Hope to get the doors done today.

Attachments

• IMG_1537 (2).jpg
    IMG_1537 (2).jpg
    311 KB · Views: 320

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
It looks like it is coing right along Chuck, with a long weekend you maybe ready to turn in there by next week.

Mike
LOL! Thanks Mike but, I am afraid NOT. My step son is the roofer and, he is going to the speedway today to see Sammy Hagar. A party at his uncles tomorrow and, back to speedway Sunday for the race. Don't even WANT him here Monday. Hopefully, will have it on Tuesday before it RAINS AGAIN on Wednesday.:rolleyes: IF I have to, I'LL do it but, he owes me.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
While I'm on here, I'd like to publicly, thanks Dan Becker (danontheroof) for his help in the form of a nice donation to the project. Dan GAVE me a nice window still in the wrapper and, a roll of felt. This is great as, the expense of this shed has proven to be far above what I anticipated. Thank you Dan!!!:)

Woodkiller

Here is another idea for your "facilities", drill a 3/4" hole in the back wall, slide a short piece of 3/4" PVC through, put a 45 degree elbow on it then another piece of PVC going towards the ground. On the inside put another 45 on it with a short section of pipe and slide a funnel into it. Viola, instant urinal. :) should cover most of your downtime and keep it to a minimum.

By the way, it looks great so far. Sorry to hear the weather has not cooperated.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Here is another idea for your "facilities", drill a 3/4" hole in the back wall, slide a short piece of 3/4" PVC through, put a 45 degree elbow on it then another piece of PVC going towards the ground. On the inside put another 45 on it with a short section of pipe and slide a funnel into it. Viola, instant urinal. :) should cover most of your downtime and keep it to a minimum.

By the way, it looks great so far. Sorry to hear the weather has not cooperated.
Thanks Mike. This idea has already been considered. But, when presented to managed, she asked...."what are you"? :redface: Personally, I have no problem with it. :biggrin: Keep a bottle of bleach close by and, you're set. :biggrin:

Neat-O! How long do you think it will take before you start to consider an addition?
;-)
Doug
Thanks Doug. I am already questioning if making pens is worth THIS much?

Hey Chuck that is starting to take very nice shape.
Thanks Mike. On to the trim, roof and, doors.

What they don't understand it's not all about making pens, it's about the place, the man cave. Some man caves have big screen tv pool tables dart boards kegarators but ours have lathes, band saws sanders pressure pots and sawdust. It's a place we feel at home that we can express our creativity that we can call our own.

So it has been said before plywood $500, siding $400, shingles $150 our own shop priceless....

Mike

I agree, being in the shop has a relaxing affect. The issue I have with my wife is, Norm can built a project start to finish in 60 minutes, she wonders why I can not do that and also why I spend more time organizing the shop than producing projects.

The shop looks great keep the pictures coming.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice.

Any ideas of a skylight or two?
That would be cool. Not in the budget though :redface:

Neat-O! How long do you think it will take before you start to consider an addition?
;-)
Doug
Thanks Doug. I am already questioning if making pens is worth THIS much?

Hey Chuck that is starting to take very nice shape.
Thanks Mike. On to the trim, roof and, doors.

What they don't understand it's not all about making pens, it's about the place, the man cave. Some man caves have big screen tv pool tables dart boards kegarators but ours have lathes, band saws sanders pressure pots and sawdust. It's a place we feel at home that we can express our creativity that we can call our own.

So it has been said before plywood $500, siding $400, shingles $150 our own shop priceless....

Mike
Well spoken.

I agree, being in the shop has a relaxing affect. The issue I have with my wife is, Norm can built a project start to finish in 60 minutes, she wonders why I can not do that and also why I spend more time organizing the shop than producing projects.

The shop looks great keep the pictures coming.
Yes, that Norm gets under my skin sometimes :biggrin: Got the felt on and some trim pieces. Indy 500 has interrupted progress. Shingles and doors tomorrow. I hope! Thanks!

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Looking good brother! Wish I would have had more time after the race. We could of engaged in some sweet tea and b.s.!!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Had a great week end. Step son and his buddy showed up to roof the shed and, build the doors. Saved me a ton of work. Soffits, caulk, paint and latches next.

Attachments

• IMG_1539 (2).jpg
    IMG_1539 (2).jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 220
Shop looks great, job well done. Don't forget you need to make a sign when it is finished...

"PEN STUDIO" or what ever you would like but remember i have seen your work and studio is the name i thought.

Hi Chuck how is the progress going, it has been a few days? Since you have it all under roof, the progress is going to be slower, the electrical takes a little more time. Keep the updates coming.

Mike

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Shop looks great, job well done. Don't forget you need to make a sign when it is finished...

"PEN STUDIO" or what ever you would like but remember i have seen your work and studio is the name i thought.
If you say STUDIO, that's fine. Don't think I ever will.:) But, I DO appreciate your compliment. I do already have a sign which will be mounted after painting.:biggrin:

Hi Chuck how is the progress going, it has been a few days? Since you have it all under roof, the progress is going to be slower, the electrical takes a little more time. Keep the updates coming.

Mike
Hi Mike, ran out of money for a couple of days. :redface: Before that, we were short 12 shingles. Went back to Lowes and, got composition instead of 3 tab. Had to return them. Spent today installing vents and, soffits and, finished the shingles. Set all the nails for caulking (well I still have some left) Yes, will have to route wire from the service panel in the garage in the front of the house then, trench to the shed. Piece o' cake :rolleyes: More trim tomorrow. I will keep posting updates. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1540 (2).jpg
    IMG_1540 (2).jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 278

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Got a little more done today. Still looking for door latch hardware. Ready for caulking now.

Attachments

• IMG_1541 (2).jpg
    IMG_1541 (2).jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 264

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
:eek: WTH Chuck !!! It's taken you so long to build this that you now have weeds growing from under the tiles!!! Geesh, get a move on!!!:biggrin:

Just kidding of course, It's looking very good!! Bet you can't wait to move in..:biggrin:

Attachments

• Chuckweeds.jpg
    Chuckweeds.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 228
Top Bottom