Hey! It's a start

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Development of a new Studio :rolleyes::biggrin: I think I like "Shed" better. If, it would just stop raining. Looks like Monday, we can get back on it. My brother has been helping. Future son-in-law was a no show but, didn't expect him anyway. I hope it's level. :redface::biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_1524 (2).jpg
    IMG_1524 (2).jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 972

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I dont see any hurricane straps, and arent you supposed to put blocking about 4 or 5 ft up to stop fires from spreading? That truss wont pass code either.

Last edited:

OOPS

Your photo brought back fond memories of a similar structure I used for awhile. I went to the added expense of caulking the obvious spots where cold air could come in, then insulated the structure with 3" insulation. While mine was probably not quite as tall as your building, I could heat mine with a small ceramic heater which would cycle on and off as needed. I was completely warm all winter long, and never noticed a change in the electric bill! Plus, there is something that is really satisfying about working in a shop you built yourself.

Congrats on getting your studio underway again.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Where is the bathroom going?
I'm standing in it!!:biggrin:

Your photo brought back fond memories of a similar structure I used for awhile. I went to the added expense of caulking the obvious spots where cold air could come in, then insulated the structure with 3" insulation. While mine was probably not quite as tall as your building, I could heat mine with a small ceramic heater which would cycle on and off as needed. I was completely warm all winter long, and never noticed a change in the electric bill! Plus, there is something that is really satisfying about working in a shop you built yourself.

Congrats on getting your studio underway again.
Thanks, that is the plan! This is my second shed but first one built by me. :rolleyes: Last one as well :redface:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
For all the thoughts that it is to small (and I agree :)), there is something to be said for doing what you can with what you have!!! I think you will have a great time in the new workshop!!! The size will be perfect!

ENJOY!

plantman

For all the thoughts that it is to small (and I agree :)), there is something to be said for doing what you can with what you have!!! I think you will have a great time in the new workshop!!! The size will be perfect!

ENJOY!

There is a great advantage to working in a smaller area. It makes you work more efficiently. Jim S

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck; Looks good so far. What are the dimensions ?? Jim S
Thanks Jim. 10x12 as big as you can go without a permit.

ENJOY!
Thanks Mark. I will enjoy it.

ENJOY!

There is a great advantage to working in a smaller area. It makes you work more efficiently. Jim S
Yes, I am used to it.

Future son-in-law was a no show but,

Ooo, strike one.

Shed is good. Studio is too pretentious
I agree.

Less talking, more work! Sorry Chuck, it sounded funny in my head. It looks great!

Mike
It sounds funny to me too Mike :biggrin:

Hey Chuck the shed looks good, at least it is not as full as your garage:) For pens and small stuff it should be great, less to heat, and you will need that being back in Indiana. Keep the progress pictures coming.

Mike

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hey Chuck the shed looks good, at least it is not as full as your garage:) For pens and small stuff it should be great, less to heat, and you will need that being back in Indiana. Keep the progress pictures coming.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Yeh, insulation and, sealant will be the key. R-value at highest rating. Or, is that lowest rating?:confused: Much insulation!

Last edited:

lorbay

Mike
Thanks Mike. Yeh, insulation and, sealant will be the key. R-value at highest rating. Or, is that lowest rating?:confused: Much insulation!

The bigger the R number the warmer you will be, but then you can only go as much as your studs (framing) will allow you.
Lin

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
When is the rough in plumbing going in.??
Lin
Plumbing??? :redface:

Mike

The bigger the R number the warmer you will be, but then you can only go as much as your studs (framing) will allow you.
Lin
'swhat I thought :biggrin: I'll be using a lot of caulking.

Hey Chuck, looks like you will be in in no time! Building a shop is almost as much fun as turning pens :)
Thanks Harry. I'm having so much fun....I'm stretching it out. Don't want to get it done too soon. :rolleyes::biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
OK, we managed to get the trusses on today after yet another trip to Lowe's. Had to leave the side panels on the truck for the night. Hurricane ties go on tomorrow. Then the siding. Then, build the doors.

Attachments

• IMG_1526 (2).jpg
    IMG_1526 (2).jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 360

Woodkiller

No matter how big you build it, at some point it won't be big enough. But having a shop to work in that you built, no matter the size, is a great feeling. It looks great so far and should do you well for many years. Now is the time to start figuring the tool and storage layout, as well as the bench location and outlet placement. Keep up the good work and get ready for that great feeling.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I see you have your North Port blue roof ready to go on. :biggrin:
I got tired of carrying tools and, cords around the house to the garage. So, I piled everything on the scaffold and, covered 'em up.:)

You could have spray insulation installed rather than batting or roll.
Thought about that. Too scared to check the price. Also, watched a show that, showed a guy with a saw trimming off the excess to make it flush with the studs. Not sure about all that. But, may be worth the effort and, expense. I think I should at least check into it. Thanks Mike!

No windows? In the summer it is fine you can open the doors, but it will be pretty dreary in the winter.

Mike
I wanted two windows but, watching this shed money going fast. Maybe still get them before it's done. Definitely an A/C unit.

No matter how big you build it, at some point it won't be big enough. But having a shop to work in that you built, no matter the size, is a great feeling. It looks great so far and should do you well for many years. Now is the time to start figuring the tool and storage layout, as well as the bench location and outlet placement. Keep up the good work and get ready for that great feeling.
Thanks for the tips. It's all under control. I know what I have and, where to put it. Hope it works out for me. :biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I had the spray insulation in my last house. They use the saw to trim the foam back where it is out past the studs and would break the drywall if you didnt trim it back before screwing it on. It was about double the cost of std insulation but it doesnt go flat and quit working. It alsoseals up all the drafty little holes. I doubt for your shed it is worth the expense. Are you putting a 100 amp service in the shed or are you running an extension cord out along the ground.:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I had the spray insulation in my last house. They use the saw to trim the foam back where it is out past the studs and would break the drywall if you didnt trim it back before screwing it on. It was about double the cost of std insulation but it doesnt go flat and quit working. It alsoseals up all the drafty little holes. I doubt for your shed it is worth the expense. Are you putting a 100 amp service in the shed or are you running an extension cord out along the ground.:biggrin:
Probably too expensive for me. But, a good idea. Burying 100 amp service:wink:

Chuck,

I have a small window you can have... It would be perfect for your shop.
Thank you Dan, I'll take it! Know where I can get another one? :)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Todays progress. Hurricane ties installed and, two sides paneled. More rain tonight and, tomorrow. :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_1533 (2).jpg
    IMG_1533 (2).jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 320
Looks great, it is a good point that a shop is never large enough. I have noticed that the size of the shop does not correlate to the quality of the pens turned.

Great shop. If the walls look like they are perfectly straight, how do you do something like that. Mine always lean at some angle.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looks great, it is a good point that a shop is never large enough. I have noticed that the size of the shop does not correlate to the quality of the pens turned.

Great shop. If the walls look like they are perfectly straight, how do you do something like that. Mine always lean at some angle.
Thanks Jim. Oh, don't worry, the walls are not perfectly straight. :redface:But, not far off. That corner post on right front decided it wanted to bow outward. So, I'll have to find a way to get it straight before putting siding on the front. :frown:

thrustmonkey

Insulate the floor!!!! I have rigid insulation in my shed and electric heaters, no floor insulation, and I can't use it in the winter. Mine is 12X14, I can run the heaters day and night, and it's still too cold to work in. Tried sealing the gaps between the shed and the ground and it didn't work.
Hope everything works out for you.

Ross

PS. INSULATE THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Insulate the floor!!!! I have rigid insulation in my shed and electric heaters, no floor insulation, and I can't use it in the winter. Mine is 12X14, I can run the heaters day and night, and it's still too cold to work in. Tried sealing the gaps between the shed and the ground and it didn't work.
Hope everything works out for you.

Ross

PS. INSULATE THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Ross, great idea. So, how would I do that now? Do they have some to lay on top of the floor?

plantman

Chuck; If you are having a lot of rain, I would tarp the roof or use clear plastic to seal off any open areas, top, roof, and sides. This will give you light to work, keep the wind and rain out, and keep your lumber dry and warp free. Trades and finishing contractors don't like to work on structures unless they are weather tight. Sooner or later you are going the have to install a wind and vaper barrier anyway, be it Tywrap or plastic. Don't forget, when you trench to run your power out there to include the cable TV, telephone, and intercom to the house wires also. And if you have time, install a rope and pully system so you can have lunch and a cold beer delivered without having to stop work and run to the house. As for the bathroom setup, a 5 gallon pail with an old toilet seat and some handy wipes should work. Don't forget the air freshner !!! I have a few other suggestions for you, but I don't think you want to start over, so I will keep an eye on your progress and see if I can save you some unforseen problems later on. Jim S

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck; If you are having a lot of rain, I would tarp the roof or use clear plastic to seal off any open areas, top, roof, and sides. This will give you light to work, keep the wind and rain out, and keep your lumber dry and warp free. Trades and finishing contractors don't like to work on structures unless they are weather tight. Sooner or later you are going the have to install a wind and vaper barrier anyway, be it Tywrap or plastic. Don't forget, when you trench to run your power out there to include the cable TV, telephone, and intercom to the house wires also. And if you have time, install a rope and pully system so you can have lunch and a cold beer delivered without having to stop work and run to the house. As for the bathroom setup, a 5 gallon pail with an old toilet seat and some handy wipes should work. Don't forget the air freshner !!! I have a few other suggestions for you, but I don't think you want to start over, so I will keep an eye on your progress and see if I can save you some unforseen problems later on. Jim S
Thanks Jim, that's funny. Tried to get a tarp over this thing but, too windy. Will try again today.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey Chuck, for those of us living in the civilized and gentle side of the planet, :biggrin:, please could you point out what the Hurricane Ties are?:confused:

You know......a real man wouldn't let a bit of wind or rain stop him from building his Man-Cave.....:rotfl:

Top Bottom