Help with tool identification please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jojomcdugal

I was recently given these by someone who knew I was a wood turner. Could one of you friendly people please tell me what they are and what they are used for. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_20161202_1737116_rewind.jpg
IMG_20161202_1737196_rewind.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Those don't appear to be lathe tools ...

In fact, I don't think they are even woodworking tools ....

I work at Goodyear, at this time, and those closely resemble a type of tool used by us in trimming excess rubber flash off of tires ...

We put the tire on a round rotating table and spin it, and use a tool made much like those to remove the rubber that sticks out where it was squeezed out by the high pressure curing mold. The rubber goes into the opening and is cut away by the sharp "V" groove in the tool ... much safer to use that an open blade, but we still wear cut resistant gloves for safety.

jojomcdugal

Those don't appear to be lathe tools ...

In fact, I don't think they are even woodworking tools ....

I work at Goodyear, at this time, and those closely resemble a type of tool used by us in trimming excess rubber flash off of tires ...

We put the tire on a round rotating table and spin it, and use a tool made much like those to remove the rubber that sticks out where it was squeezed out by the high pressure curing mold. The rubber goes into the opening and is cut away by the sharp "V" groove in the tool ... much safer to use that an open blade, but we still wear cut resistant gloves for safety.

Thank you that makes sense to me since there appears to be an edge around the entire curved point.

Skie_M

The actual cutting edge should be the inner angle only ... if it's sharp anywhere else, that would be a safety issue, so we keep our tools dull on the outside and sharp only on the inside.

Now ... it seems to me that these tools COULD also be used for trimming thin veneers (run it along the table or box edge ... but a router would do a much neater job of it with less chance of a tearout) or other materials, like reeds and grasses to a uniform height after weaving a mat (place edge of mat to be trimmed between two boards and run the tool over the edge sticking out to trim it down). It likely isn't strong enough to do wooden or bamboo mats.

Skie_M

Oh yes .... that's a possibility, clay sculpting! I could see someone using a tool like that to carve a hollow or round the bottom of a groove ... :)

If it were hard material sculpting (marble or other rock) they would be riffle files, but those don't have large sharp edged holes inside them ...

Top Bottom