help with tailstock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

I have a Delta 46-541 wood lathe, and today I was drilling with the tailstock into some apricot wood when the drill would not advance instead the screw was coming out the back side. I took the tailstock apart and noticed there appears to be a groove in the screw that would hold the screw in place.
The pictures show all the pieces that came out. The ring in the first picture fits next to the handle on the screw and fits into the groove in picture 3.
I goggled parts for this lathe and the pictures are so small I could not figure out what held the ring in place. To replace the screw was $85 plus.
Sorry I don't know the correct terminology for the parts so this might be confussing.
Can anyone help me? Thank you William

Attachments

• aatool1.jpg
    aatool1.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 280
  • aatool2.jpg
    aatool2.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 273
  • aatool3.jpg
    aatool3.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

While you are viewing the picture of the parts list (I am assuming you are at http://www.mikestools.com/download/...1-Variable-Speed-12-Inch-Wood-Lathes-WL3C.pdf ) hold down the Ctrl key and press the "+" key on your numeric keypad and the picture will enlarge for you with each press of the "+" button. The larger pictures are actually rather good and clear.

It appears there are 5 different assemblies that were used for that lathe. You will need to determine which one you have before you can figure out how or what went wrong.

triw51

Mortalis: Thanks for the tip yes that was the site I went to but did not know about the enlargement feature.

Gary: I looked and did not find anything. The tail stock has always been loose when I drilled with it (usually moved to metal lathe when drilling on the lathe).

Last edited:

Mortalis

According to the exploded print and Parts List, there is no bearing in this tailstock.
I have attached some pictures from your picture and the assembly page from on line. I also annotated a few things.
I hope this helps.
Without being there and seeing the parts as you took them apart is difficult to piece back together since I dont see all the parts in your pictures that are described in the assembly drawing.

Attachments

• tailstock assembly 3.jpg
    tailstock assembly 3.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 3,774
  • tailstock assembly 2.jpg
    tailstock assembly 2.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 289
  • tailstock assembly 1.jpg
    tailstock assembly 1.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 633

Gary Beasley

Looking at the diagrams that flat washer #51 is probably the ragged out sliver of a ring in the picture and is supposed to be pinned behind a roll pin which is not seen in the picture and has probably disintegrated. That would be what keeps the handle and lead screw in place in the tailstock frame. This is something you could probably fudge up from the junkbox if you can find the hole the roll pin was in and clean it out, find a suitable replacement pin and washer, and knock it back together.

Top Bottom