Help on new lathe decision

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allmaclean

Finally ready to replace my old HF lathe for something new. Have got it narrowed down to the Jet JWL 1221VS, the Delta 46-460, and the Rikon 70-220VSR.
I am doing mainly pens and some bowls at present.

I like Rikon because of their customer service, which I experienced personally with one of their bandsaws. I had heard that Jet and particularly Delta had pretty poor support.

Looking for feedback from the experts out there on which one would best meet my needs.

Thanks,

Allan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolandranch

I'm not an expert but I've had a really good experience with Jet tools. I have three of their lathes and have never had any problems with them. One is around 20 years old and still runs like a top. That said, I've never used a Delta or Rikon so only take my two cents for what they're worth.

BillyBoy63

Lathe Decision

I bought the Delta 46-460 no problems as of yet the centers were pin point accurate the belt is super easy to make adjustments or replace with the belt adjustment handle that clicks down and stays in place you have two hands to work with on and off switch / forward & reverse and speed controls in a great spot to do it all over again I would buy the delta at the drop of hat my opinion simply love it
BillyBoy63

MTViper

When I was shopping for a lathe, I read reviews and forums like this and I saw one consistent theme "I bought XYZ lathe and 6 months later I wanted something bigger". I went with a Jet 1642 EVS and have never looked back. I have only had one time I had to contact customer service and it was great. I needed to replace the on/off switch. They sent me a new one and instructions on how to install it. It arrived in 2 days and I was back in business in 20 minutes (I'm slow with electrical work). I heartily recommend Jet tools.

Charlie_W

My vote goes to the Rikon. First off, you have a much better warranty should you need it. Also, note that the tool rest post is 1"...not 5/8". It is much beefier and should lessen vibration when out on the ends of the tool rest.
I believe the Rikon also has slower speeds which are good for out of round/balance turnings as well as for applying finishes on the lathe.

You will find reports of the Delta having flex in the headstock due to its design.

Realize that with most of these Mid size lathes that trying to turn a 12 " bowl is pushing it to it's max. A bowl this size is much more easily turned on a 16" lathe which has a larger motor and more torque as well as just plain having more mass to absorb the vibration of turning.

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Upon checking, it appears the Jet and the Rikon both carry a 5 year warranty.
I apologize for not checking these warranties before my previous post.

Good luck on your lathe quest!

Herb G

Lathes are like streetcars. If you miss one, there's always another to replace it. If you ask 10 turners which lathes they like, you will likely get 12 opinions.

That said, my best advice is to try them out before you decide on buying one. Find a local turner's club and ask to try out the lathes first.
Or, ask friends who turn to check out their lathes before buying one.

Keep in mind good tools are not cheap, and cheap tools are not good.
If you decide to buy a more expensive lathe, you will only buy it once.
Buyer's remorse NEVER goes away. You can learn to live with most anything, but the dreaded "maybe I should have..." will always be there.

It took me over a year to decide which lathe to buy. But, I had a very limited budget to start with.
HTH. :)

Woodchipper

I have had good luck with Rikon CS. I have a 70-050 VS which, I think, is the predecessor to the 70-220VSR. Mine has the 5/8 post for the tool rest but I haven't found any problem with that.

Any of the lathes you mentioned will serve you well. I chose the Rikon 220vsr after quite a bit of research on here a few months back, and I am extremely happy with that decision. Its got tons of torque on its lowest speed, its got more quill travel than the others, Rikon is a big supporter and donor to the IAP, as well as the other stuff others mentioned. It goes on sale at Woodcraft for about $550 , a price that's hard to beat!

aj r

I can't comment specifically on any of the lathes you mentioned, as I haven't turned on any of them.

What I can say, is that quality and reputation can't be stressed enough. I got in a hurry to upgrade lathes last November, and went with a "best bang for your buck" type lathe. Brand new, it arrived with a spindle that was so bad it went in circles around the tailstock, completely unusable. After a nightmare of dealing with their customer service, they shipped me a "new" spindle. It looked like they had pulled it out of a lathe that had seen 20 yrs of use and had fallen off a truck a couple of times. That's the best they would do.

Long story short, I should have held off and purchased a better machine, even if it meant waiting and saving up for a few more months to get it.

Top Bottom