Help me make sense of this...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Phillips

.... so I can figure out what to do next...

Here's the deal...

My 1/2" round scraper is what I have been using part of the time on pens.. usually when doing whoopededoos and also it worked well on acrylic and acrylester/PR etc...

Sharpened it with the Wolverine on a slow speed grinder, 100 grit wheel.

Now...

I sharpened it on my new Jet wet wheel... I kept the same angle, but it was sharpened going away from the edge instead of into the edge as on the Wolverine.... It seems very, very sharp now... and cuts very well....

.... except

On the acrylics, it will be cutting nicely then it digs in! Poof! .... instant cove! :(

Never moved the tool rest or made any other changes at all... just the sharpening...

So what can I do to help this merry occurance go away??

Raise or lower the tool rest?

Change the angle slightly when sharpening?... less angle? ... more angle?

I would appreciate any suggestions you have... and thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Sounds like the directional change is leaving a burr (due to the metal 'dragging' off instead of being ground back towards the cutting edge) that likes to get grabby. Have you tried honing or burnishing after sharpening?

great12b4ever

I agree with Karl, sounds like a burr is left on. Some people like this but you have to get used to it. Others, (like me) hone the tool after sharpening to get rid of the burr and make the tool sharper. If you want to keep the burr, then you need to lower the rest a little to give the tool less chance to grab.

Rob

Marc Phillips

That's why I like it here! .... I thought ya had to have a burr to make the scraper work at all... Man, learning stuff all the time!

I will try honing first... then mess with the tool rest height...

Thanks gang!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom