Help: Jet 14" Bandsaw Tension Rod Broke

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Noot17

I was trying to detension my blade the other day and I think the square nut got cross threaded somehow and then in my attempt to unscrew it all the way, the force sheared off the knob on top of the rod that is used for turning it...

I need a replacement but can't find the part from Jet. I've read that you can use threaded bar stock, but then I'm not sure what to do for the knob to turn it. A hand wheel would be nice, but I'm not sure how to attach one to the rod so I can turn it both ways.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

Hey Noot...the riser block won't change the length of the tension rod, just makes it harder to reach. I put one of these https://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-14330-Tension-Crank/dp/B001C4UOVS on my Ridgid 14" 3 or 4 years ago, works great. Nuts had stripped out on the factory rod. I think Carter makes a replacement rod/crank as well. Since I was in there anyway, I replaced the tension spring at the same time--that helped the old saw as well.

If you choose to go the route of threaded rod with replacement handle, McMaster-Carr has a good assortment of hand wheels and knobs. I considered using a hand wheel with a through-hole, captured by a nut on both sides--opted for the replacement instead.

Hope this helps.
earl

randyrls

Eric; The rod is Threaded 10mm (metric), NOT 3/8" DAMHIKT!

I have made knobs from Female knobs. Just put CA on the threads and thread into the knob. If you want extra protection, you can drill a 1/8" hole thru the knob and put a steel pin in it.

Noot17

Thanks for the info, everyone. Definitely helpful to know that the rod is the same length regardless of riser block.

Earl - I was looking at that as well. I read some reviews that it stripped out on people. Have you had any issues with it? For $20 I think it's worth trying, because a hand wheel and bar is going to cost me the same, if not more, than that.

John - That has definitely been tempting me! I still need to replace the rod though, right?

jttheclockman

Thanks for the info, everyone. Definitely helpful to know that the rod is the same length regardless of riser block.

Earl - I was looking at that as well. I read some reviews that it stripped out on people. Have you had any issues with it? For $20 I think it's worth trying, because a hand wheel and bar is going to cost me the same, if not more, than that.

John - That has definitely been tempting me! I still need to replace the rod though, right?

yes

greenacres2

I haven't had any issues with mine--though that saw doesn't get used as much as the Laguna. I'll try to dig my way to it tonight to check--but i'm thinking it was 10mm, pretty universal fit on the clones.
earl

Top Bottom