Help: Jet 14" Bandsaw Tension Rod Broke - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2018, 01:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Help: Jet 14" Bandsaw Tension Rod Broke

I was trying to detension my blade the other day and I think the square nut got cross threaded somehow and then in my attempt to unscrew it all the way, the force sheared off the knob on top of the rod that is used for turning it...

I need a replacement but can't find the part from Jet. I've read that you can use threaded bar stock, but then I'm not sure what to do for the knob to turn it. A hand wheel would be nice, but I'm not sure how to attach one to the rod so I can turn it both ways.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
Noot17 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-05-2018, 01:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Also, I forgot to mention, but I have the riser blocks installed so it has the 12" resaw clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Old 07-05-2018, 04:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Noot...the riser block won't change the length of the tension rod, just makes it harder to reach. I put one of these https://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-1433.../dp/B001C4UOVS on my Ridgid 14" 3 or 4 years ago, works great. Nuts had stripped out on the factory rod. I think Carter makes a replacement rod/crank as well. Since I was in there anyway, I replaced the tension spring at the same time--that helped the old saw as well.

If you choose to go the route of threaded rod with replacement handle, McMaster-Carr has a good assortment of hand wheels and knobs. I considered using a hand wheel with a through-hole, captured by a nut on both sides--opted for the replacement instead.

Hope this helps.
earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Eric; The rod is Threaded 10mm (metric), NOT 3/8" DAMHIKT!

I have made knobs from Female knobs. Just put CA on the threads and thread into the knob. If you want extra protection, you can drill a 1/8" hole thru the knob and put a steel pin in it.

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 83

If I were you it is a good excuse to get one of thesewww.amazon.com/Carter-Products-QR1000-Release-Tension/dp/B0000AMK7M
Old 07-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, everyone. Definitely helpful to know that the rod is the same length regardless of riser block.

Earl - I was looking at that as well. I read some reviews that it stripped out on people. Have you had any issues with it? For $20 I think it's worth trying, because a hand wheel and bar is going to cost me the same, if not more, than that.

John - That has definitely been tempting me! I still need to replace the rod though, right?
Old 07-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noot17 View Post
Thanks for the info, everyone. Definitely helpful to know that the rod is the same length regardless of riser block.

Earl - I was looking at that as well. I read some reviews that it stripped out on people. Have you had any issues with it? For $20 I think it's worth trying, because a hand wheel and bar is going to cost me the same, if not more, than that.

John - That has definitely been tempting me! I still need to replace the rod though, right?
yes
Old 07-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

I haven't had any issues with mine--though that saw doesn't get used as much as the Laguna. I'll try to dig my way to it tonight to check--but i'm thinking it was 10mm, pretty universal fit on the clones.
earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-07-2018, 02:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

I went ahead with the big horn tension crank. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads