help with BS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

old folks

The motor on my Delta 14 inch BS burned out. I have a replacement motor and I have wired a new power plug cord on it.

Question...the power cord and the off and on switch cord comes out of the old motor in different places on the motor... can I just splice the off and on cord to the power cord ?

Thank You

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Electricity takes no prisoners. Joints of any kind should be avoided.
Best to replace a length of cable than attempting to join it. If you are in any doubts, then swap a pen for five minutes of an electricians time. Mount the new motor, then if nesseccary, take the whole thing to an electrician. [;)]

Randy_

It sounds to me like the answer might be "no"; but your description is unclear.....at least to me. The way you have posed the question it sounds like you have 2 power cords coming out of your motor and that is sort of unusual as most motors only have a single cord unless it is a VS motor.

As skiprat said, making a mistake with electricity can cause major problems so unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing, it might be wise to get some hands-on help. Doing this type of thing by Internet can be tricky if folks don't fully understand the written messages.

Maybe you could tell us what the model # is of band saw you have and maybe post a picture or two of the motor. Could be that someone with the exact same saw could give you a proper answer. I think most folks are going to be reluctant to offer advice until we have a better understanding of the set-up.

toolcrazy

I agree with Randy and you need to take the motor to a motor service shop and have it checked to see what wires are which. I've re-wired many machines over the years and I am familiar with how most of them wire up, but from your description I have no way to know what you meant. Usually, the switch goes between the power cord and the motor. It sounds to me you have a motor that isn't designed for your application, but a electric motor shop may point you in the correct direction. Have someone that knows what needs to be done take a look at it, before something bad happens.

Firefyter-emt

It sounds like you want the power feed and the line out to the switch to be housed in the motor housing. IF you have the room, and the proper wire holders to run two cables into the motor junction, then yes... you can make the live wire switch jucntion inside the motor. HOWEVER, you need the room inside the motor where the connections go and the motor needs to allow two normal sized wires to be held properly.

On my big Walker Turner saw I did just this to run my switch. Your electrical cord will come in and the white ground wire will connect properly to the motor. The black wire will go to one leg of the switch cord and the other leg will connect where the black wire needs to connect to the motor. (I like to connect the white wire from the switch cord to the black wire to the line source. This way you have the proper color code at the motor connection)

The green grounding wires should be wire nutted togather with a single wire pigtail that makes the chassie ground. You will need the room for the extra 2 wire nuts inside the motor connection cavity.

Here is the motor on my saw, this is what you mean, right?
1017071.jpg

If you do not have room in the motor, make these connections in a handi box and feed a wire from that to the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom