Help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimmyz

I have a Jet 1221vs. While I was removing a mandrel saver and moving the tailstock to the right, the crank frooze up (yes to lock is off). The crank won't rotate in either direction.. What is wrong and can I fix it? Appreciate any help as I am trying to finish some pens for a client. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ajollydds

Try a couple taps with a hammer. Mine did that a couple weeks ago and it released when I gave it an extra nudge. Not sure why it locked up.

robutacion

Hi, do you mean the lever that locks the tails stock back and forwards...?

If that is the case, is possibly because you have saw dust jamming the plate the tightens into the lathe bed, lack of lubrication can also be a problem.

You should be able to look underneath the tail stock assembly and use the air gun to blow any visible saw dust out, I would then spray a generous amount of oil into all that area, including the top rails on the bed around where the tail stock is jammed, leave it for a few minutes.

Grab a small piece of wood and a hammer, from the rear of the tails\ stock use the wood to push against the tail stock base and give it a wack towards to head-stock into the position you had it before it jammed, if one wack doesn't do it, try again a little harder and the tails stock should move, make sure the lever is positioned in the neutral position

It the tail stock loosens up, remove it from the lathe and give it a good clean then oil it and re-install, things should be working as new...!

Good luck

Cheers
George

Lucky2

Jimmy, did you remove the mandrel saver? If not, it should be removed before you work on the crank. If the mandrel lock screw on the side of the tailstock is still in place, remove it. Then try turning the crank handle in both directions, don't use to much force when doing this. If this doesn't help, then I think you will have to take the whole crank screw system apart.
Len

robutacion

Oh, that is a totally different problem all together and yes, I can help you to unstuck it but from experience and many other folks that had the same problem with the mini and medium type lathes is that, what causes the problem is drilling on the lathe, the threads of the shaft get damaged and that happens/locking, you may need to order another one if not under warranty...!

To make things easier, I'm using a pics of the tail-stock parts, look at it and remove the parts circled in red, the first one first. This will allow you to removed the shaft and clean everything, you may put it together again to finish your work but, it will happen again until replaced shaft.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...il%20stock.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...200-Jet-PB.png

Let me know how you went...!

George

Woodchipper

USAF saying- Don't force it, use a bigger hammer.
I find little things like that to be frustrating as they are usually a simple solution. Good luck on the repair. Let us know what you find and how you fixed it. Someone else might have the same situation in the future.

Top Bottom