Harbor Freight must haves?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markv

So I am going to make an order at Harbor Freight for a transfer bit set and a couple other small items but I hate making such a small order - any quality must haves you have come across from there? All suggestions appreciated - thanks

More4dan

Got to have one of these. Clean glue from your tube an deburrs the brass for only $3.
dc844c82f96d496977edf01098af27e0.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/t-handle-reamer-66936.html

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

mecompco

HF just opened a store in my town--was an hour drive to get to the Bangor Maine store. Here's what I use from HF:

MT2 Jacobs chuck (I have two and they've worked fine), Nitrile gloves, storage boxes, pick set, sand paper, magnetic parts dish, etc. I have my HF lathe dedicated to buffing. I have the 1x30 belt sander and it works OK. I use their portable band saw for everything (have it mounted on a stand and added a table).

It is fun just to go and wander around if you can.

leehljp

Member Liaison
1. Calipers (don't get the plastic ones) https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-...sae-and-metric-fractional-readings-62569.html
2. Punch set https://www.harborfreight.com/28-piece-transfer-punch-set-3577.html
3. 115 piece drill bit set, there are 3 versions: regular, TiN and cobalt. the more expensive, the better https://www.harborfreight.com/catal...Score,f,EAFeatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=115
4. belt sander https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-in-belt-sander-61728.html
5. 4 sided diamond hone https://www.harborfreight.com/catal...ed+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=4+side+diamond+hone

6. Press: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-3552.html

I haven't done a search for local HFs in AR, but I have stopped at three of them in AR on the way to visit family in different places. Little Rock, Fort Smith, Jonesboro. Check for one to see if any near you.

frank123

The 1x30 belt sander makes a good squaring jig for the ends of the pen blanks. Also, small clamps if you are going to be doing segmenting. For bushings, the #90243 storage box is awfully handy.

That little 1x30 is one of the best things you'll ever add to your shop at anywhere near the price.

FWIW. every so often they go on sale at a ridiculously low price, grab one when they do if you don't already have one and maybe even a second one as well if you have the space..

gtriever

The 1x30 belt sander makes a good squaring jig for the ends of the pen blanks. Also, small clamps if you are going to be doing segmenting. For bushings, the #90243 storage box is awfully handy.

That little 1x30 is one of the best things you'll ever add to your shop at anywhere near the price.

FWIW. every so often they go on sale at a ridiculously low price, grab one when they do if you don't already have one and maybe even a second one as well if you have the space..

Yep. I think I posted this somewhere before, but here's a pic of the little 1x30 with a pen squaring mod. It's used with the HF transfer punch set. The pictured toggle clamp has now been replaced with a Bessey Auto-Adjust Clamp, and I plan on replacing the platform (I cut the V-notch on this one too deep for the smaller punches to securely lock down).

Sanding-Jig_1_web.jpg

Woodchipper

I like the fine sanding sponges, free screwdrivers- plan on making some mini turning tools from them, 6 inch sanding disks, flashlights- keep them in the van and truck, magnetic parts tray- for shop and wife and DIL use them for straight pines while sewing.

Bikerdad

Another recommend for both the punch set, magnetic parts trays, and acid brushes. I just picked up the center drills, haven't used them yet.

In my experience, one of the absolute best items they have are their moving dollies. They totally rock. Also, their dial torque wrenches are a good value.

More4dan

Got to have one of these. Clean glue from your tube an deburrs the brass for only $3.
dc844c82f96d496977edf01098af27e0.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/t-handle-reamer-66936.html

I second this. It's cheap and works well. It's also a big help for those kits with particularly tight fitting parts since it tapers the end and allows the piece to ease in at the beginning of the tube.

Some passes with my diamond hone makes it work so much better.

chartle

don't buy the brad point drill bit set they are all warped. do by the regular drill bit set.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Mark,
Not sure what part of Arkansas you are from but as Lee mentioned there are several stores (9) and one of them might be within driving distance to you.
Stores are located in Little Rock, Benton, Jacksonville, Conway, Jonesboro, Mt Home, Ft Smith, Springdale, and Rogers.

You will undoubtedly find things you didn't realize you needed if you go in person! :eek:)

More4dan

Lenny

The 1200cfm HF 2 hp dust collector can often be found for $160 with a 25% off coupon. The bag that comes with it is a 5 micron ... Junk it and either buy the powertec one from Amazon or better yet get the Wynn filter. It will cost you more than the dust collector but it's money well spent. Not only will it filter the really harmful dust but it will increase the efficiency of the collector. Adding a cyclone or build your own Thien filter, and you will have a very inexpensive two stage collection system.
The 6" and 12" F style bar clamps are another HF gem. At $3-$4 I like them better than the
$13 Besseys we just got at work.
The mini cut off saw is pretty good for cutting brass tube to length.
As has been said, the 1 x 30 belt sander is another tool you will be surprised how many uses you find for it. Just be sure to wait for a sale and a 20% off coupon.
Lots of junk there but a few real gems.

monophoto

A foot switch is great for using on your lathe.

foot-switch

Agreed. But before you buy, check the box carefully. There are two versions of the foot switch. One is 'maintained' (press to turn it on, press again to turn it off) while the other is momentary (press and hold). I actually prefer the momentary because it acts like a 'deadman' - if something happens and you step back from the tool that is powered through the switch, the tool will stop.

More4dan

A foot switch is great for using on your lathe.

foot-switch

Agreed. But before you buy, check the box carefully. There are two versions of the foot switch. One is 'maintained' (press to turn it on, press again to turn it off) while the other is momentary (press and hold). I actually prefer the momentary because it acts like a 'deadman' - if something happens and you step back from the tool that is powered through the switch, the tool will stop.

The foot switch works great for the drill press allowing me to hold my work while bringing down the quill and not having to figure out how to flick the switch on.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

gtriever

Never tried the foot switch on the DP itself, but I do use a foot switch at that station to control the shop vac. I might just have to try your idea.

chartle

The 6" and 12" F style bar clamps are another HF gem. At $3-$4 I like them better than the
$13 Besseys we just got at work.

Also while the larger ones are just fine, don't buy the mini quick clamps. even though I test them at the store once home and used a few times they no longer clamp.

I guess i could return them but I would just get another which will only break again.

Top Bottom