Grizzly Scroll Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

thetalbott4

I need a second chuck and am looking at the VicMark knockoff from Grizzly. I've seen it mentioned but nobody that has one has given it any review of sorts. I would be interested to hear from users about it. Do the VicMark jaws fit on the Grizzly? Is there enough range of motion? Any info would help. It looks like a nice unit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Can't help much. But the idea of switching jaws between brands does not sound practical to me. My chucks require placement of jaws in specific slots on their own original chuck. Going to other brands probably would not work at all. I dunno from experience, just supposin' .

its_virgil

I have the Grizzly and for a less expensive chuck it works very well. I have a friend who has both the grizzly and the vicmarc and assures me the jaws are interchangeable. I purchased the pin jaws from grizzly also. Russ Fairfield has some good info on his website about chucks and chucking: http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Chucks.html#anchor_30

PSI has a good deal on some of their chucks. Reports from guys who I know have these have all been good.
Chekc 'em out:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/e-10249a.html
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/csc3000c.html
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/cmg3c.html

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />I need a second chuck and am looking at the VicMark knockoff from Grizzly. I've seen it mentioned but nobody that has one has given it any review of sorts. I would be interested to hear from users about it. Do the VicMark jaws fit on the Grizzly? Is there enough range of motion? Any info would help. It looks like a nice unit.

Jim Boyd

I have a Vic and 2 of the Griz clones. The Vic jaws DO fit the Griz but I keep Vic jaws on the Vic and Griz jaws on the Griz. The Griz is a nice chuck. The only bad thing I've noticed is the jaw mounting screws are soft and easy to round the allen wrench holes.

its_virgil

I'm not sure what you mean by "the range of motion". I have replaced the screws that hold my jaws onto the grizzly chuck. The allen wrench was too small for half of the screws, but I did not consider that a problem. I replaced the 8 screws for under a dollar.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />Don- Is the range of motion pretty small or is it big enough to be useful for a lot of different size needs?

thetalbott4

Don- Range of motion being the distance difference between fully open and fully closed. Some chucks have very little movement which can be somewhat limiting for some applications.

Jim Boyd

<br />Don- Range of motion being the distance difference between fully open and fully closed. Some chucks have very little movement which can be somewhat limiting for some applications.

That is why there are several different sized jaws.

thetalbott4

Yeah, thats kinda self explanitory. Most folks understand there are more than 1 set of jaws. But in a lot of situations I dont want to switch jaws for just a few minutes work. Not only that, but they dont have a lot of other sets of jaws to use, just the dovetail, pin and 4" dovetail. If I need something between the small dovetail and the 4", I'm outa luck. So a chuck with a wide range of motion is definately a plus for me.

its_virgil

My Grizzly is 1 1/4" to 3" and my SuperNova has a range from
1 5/8" to 2 1/2"

do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />Don- Range of motion being the distance difference between fully open and fully closed. Some chucks have very little movement which can be somewhat limiting for some applications.

Chuck Key

<br />But in a lot of situations I dont want to switch jaws for just a few minutes work. Not only that, but they dont have a lot of other sets of jaws to use, just the dovetail, pin and 4" dovetail. If I need something between the small dovetail and the 4", I'm outa luck. So a chuck with a wide range of motion is definately a plus for me.

Get two or three chucks with dedicated jaws in each.

Chuckie

thetalbott4

You buying? I already have one and thats why I'm getting a second one with a little more travel. The travel that Don says it has should be good for what I need.

jtate

I just bougfht the Grizzly and haven't yet tried it out. I gotta say - dealing with Grizzly left me with a bad taste in my mouth. They made an error in fillingt my order and then gave me all kinds of grief when I tried to get them to fix it. They'd sent me a $112 chuck when I had ordered the $42 chuck. I just wanted them to take the more expensive one back and send me the one I ordered, without me having to front the money for shipping to get the one I wanted. It took, like, three weeks to get the mess straightened out.

Just be clear with them.

I bought it through Amazon. Maybe that was the issue. They have a catalog and a nice website. Maybe it's better to buy directly from Grizzly.

its_virgil

I ordered mine frome the web and no problem...it came quickly. That's the only thing I've purchased from Grizzly.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jtate
<br />I just bougfht the Grizzly and haven't yet tried it out. I gotta say - dealing with Grizzly left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Jim Boyd

<br />Yeah, thats kinda self explanitory. Most folks understand there are more than 1 set of jaws. But in a lot of situations I dont want to switch jaws for just a few minutes work. Not only that, but they dont have a lot of other sets of jaws to use, just the dovetail, pin and 4" dovetail. If I need something between the small dovetail and the 4", I'm outa luck. So a chuck with a wide range of motion is definately a plus for me.
I hear where you are coming from. When I got my first Griz and saw the quality I immediatly ordered a second. Just to keep from having to change jaws[;)]

byounghusband

I bought it through Amazon. Maybe that was the issue. They have a catalog and a nice website. Maybe it's better to buy directly from Grizzly.

I ordered mine directly over the phone with Grizzly.

Every time I have dealt with Amazon, I come away with that bad taste!! [xx(]

Grizzly was great and I didn't need Listerine afterwards either... [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom