Is this Grizzly lathe Good?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA

Originally posted by Russianwolfand even the best of machines need to have a periodic tune up. vibrations and other bumps and things knock them out of alignment and simple wear also. There isn't a machine available that's an out of the box flawless machine and will stay that way forever.

Wake Up!
Did you forget we are talking new equipment here and not ones that have been in use?
No need to yell.:D Ron, I'm talking about brand new tools too. Every manual I've ever had on every major tool (from my uncle's Powermatic 66 to the Grilly lathe I have now) has an adjustment/maitainance section immediately following the assembly section. Why? because tools can get bumped out of adjustment during shipping no matter how well made and no matter how well packaged. If you don't take to time to go through the process of making sure your tools are set up dead on before you power them up, that's up to you. True a lathe doesn't require as many adjustments as a Tablesaw, but I have a feeling if you call all the lathe manufactures they will tell you that it's possible for the tailstock to not line up out of the box even on their products. that's why they are adjustable.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

Jay, my lathe is the G0632. It does have a hole through the headstock. That is one reason why I originally suggested Jared consider stepping down from the G0456. I believe the 0632 to be a much better product all around. And, BTW, it too, is built like a tank. In fact, the cast iron legs look identical to those on a Powermatic.
Hey Frank,
How is the motor on the 0632? I saw that it's 3 phase with a frequency drive, and I have no idea what that means.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Russianwolf

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

Jay, my lathe is the G0632. It does have a hole through the headstock. That is one reason why I originally suggested Jared consider stepping down from the G0456. I believe the 0632 to be a much better product all around. And, BTW, it too, is built like a tank. In fact, the cast iron legs look identical to those on a Powermatic.
Hey Frank,
How is the motor on the 0632? I saw that it's 3 phase with a frequency drive, and I have no idea what that means.

To me, that means it works fine. Very powerful and smooth running. Technically, I dunno nuttin' 'bout electrics. I do know it is 220 V and a friend came over and did the wiring for me. I flip the switch, choose my speed and go to work. It has some kind of fancy-dancy box on the back with stuff written on it and a digital read-out (in addition to the big red LCD read-out on front), and some controls. It is there for reasons I don't understand and nothing is to be done with it. My non-technical guess is that this box can be used to change it over for electrical service in other parts of the world. My friend with a Powermatic has the same identical box thingy on the back of his headstock. I like things simple. As I said, it works and works fine. That's all I need to know.

jtate

I got lousy customer service from them.

I ordered a chuck and they sent me a chuck that was MUCH different from the one I ordered and MUCH more expensive than the one I ordered. Unfortunately, I couldn't use it. I was tempted to just put it on EBay and sell it when they gave me so much grief over replacing it. They wanted me to pay to ship it back to them. They wanted a restocking fee. They wouldn't just send me my chuck until they had received the wrong one back from me, even though I offered to give them my credit card number to hold in case they never got the wrong one backl from me.

Then, after all that, they wouldn't accept the worng chuck back until they'd gone out and counted all the pieces in inventory of this wrong chuck to see if, indeed, they were short one of them.

Why would I have lied to them about this? The one they sent was WAY more expensive - like twice as much - and still they treated me like I was trying to pull something on them. I was trying to get the chuck I wanted and help them fix their own mistake.

I finally did get the chuck I'd ordered.

I haven't ordered from them again.

nwcatman

Originally posted by jtate

I got lousy customer service from them.

I ordered a chuck and they sent me a chuck that was MUCH different from the one I ordered and MUCH more expensive than the one I ordered. Unfortunately, I couldn't use it. I was tempted to just put it on EBay and sell it when they gave me so much grief over replacing it. They wanted me to pay to ship it back to them. They wanted a restocking fee. They wouldn't just send me my chuck until they had received the wrong one back from me, even though I offered to give them my credit card number to hold in case they never got the wrong one backl from me.

Then, after all that, they wouldn't accept the worng chuck back until they'd gone out and counted all the pieces in inventory of this wrong chuck to see if, indeed, they were short one of them.

Why would I have lied to them about this? The one they sent was WAY more expensive - like twice as much - and still they treated me like I was trying to pull something on them. I was trying to get the chuck I wanted and help them fix their own mistake.

I finally did get the chuck I'd ordered.

I haven't ordered from them again.
thats what i'm talking about!!! i got the same run around/who cares attitude from em when i had questions about the lack of quality on my grizzly lathe. they couldn't of cared less. so....i don't order from em or reccommend em to anyone. when anyone asks, i tell em. that simple.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Jared,

You asked an excellent question. It is always good to get input before making a big decision like this. If you ever need more calm rational input from the adults [?] on the forum, please do not hesitate to ask another such question.

Dario

Originally posted by 1JaredSchmidt

I've been talking to my dad about getting a Nova DVR XP. Looks like a nice lathe. Thanks!:D

Great lathe choice but let me confuse you further LOL [}:)]

Before you actually but...can you try Jet 1642 EVS and/or PM3520? Go to your local Woodcraft, turning club, etc and see if they have one they will let you test/try.

I just sold my PM3520 for $2,000.00 (out of necessity) so I know there are steals/deals out there (though far in between). It is a mighty fine machinery and I will recommend it anytime.

Frank talks about value and I do the same, but for me these 2 lathes offer the best value. Just shop around for the best price. ;)

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by Dario
Great lathe choice but let me confuse you further LOL [}:)]

Before you actually but...can you try Jet 1642 EVS and/or PM3520? Go to your local Woodcraft, turning club, etc and see if they have one they will let you test/try.

I just sold my PM3520 for $2,000.00 (out of necessity) so I know there are steals/deals out there (though far in between). It is a mighty fine machinery and I will recommend it anytime.

Frank talks about value and I do the same, but for me these 2 lathes offer the best value. Just shop around for the best price. ;)

Ha! I was going to post earlier and recommend someone talk to Dario about his lathe purchases.

Warning - LONG POST!

I purchased my first Jet mini-lathe and, after reading up on the forum here and realizing I needed variable speed at my fingertips, sold that to Rich (low_48) and purchased what I thought would be the best lathe for the money - a Jet 1236. 6 months later, BAM! I became curious about bowls, and I discovered the Jet 1236 wasn't the lathe I wanted to have in another 10 years. I've kept it because it's a great machine - and I'm not doing bowls right now. But I asked people who had upgraded from the 1236 to other lathes why they did and what they discovered. One of those people was Dario. He had already done a lot of research - so I figured I would start there. I have since learned quite a bit about lathes, and have developed a preference for the Powermatic top end line. This was the line recommended by Dario (who went throught the same process to find a lathe - and seemed objective), and, because my research has led me to a similar conclusion about the lathes, I have grown to trust Dario's advice about lathes.

I don't know why anyone would stick with just one brand of tools or machinery - although some do and are happy. My experience has been that some manufacturers are better at some types of machinery than others, but in some cases - you are "safe" to go with tools that cost less but appear to be comparable in what they do. For example, when I purchased my first table saw - I was looking at contractor saws (I couldn't afford a real expensive saw, and frankly, I was new to woodworking and had no idea where it was going). The Jet gave me a cast iron table when others did not, and it had good reviews. It performed great for 6 years - although it was a bit underpowered. When a Delta Unisaw became available in town (the one I had been looking for), I sold the Jet and bought the used Delta. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a new one however - they are tried and tested over the years. I just think their saws are better than many others at the high end. Fine Woodworking did a review on the saws this past year - and their findings are pretty much on a par with what my research revealed. The Grizzly saws are not rated as highly, but they are still considered very good purchases in this category.

On the other hand, when it comes to jointers and sanders - I look to Grizzly first. Why? These items have been manufactured by Grizzly for a long time - they have been updated, tweaked, and there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong with them. And I spend significantly less for the same quality of machine. For example, I upgraded my lousy benchtop Delta sander to what I think the same sander is that Ron has ($50???? You dog!). Great buy. However, it came dented, and the part they sent me was a different color green. Oh well - covered in dust, it doesn't really matter.

Planers? It depends on the application. For example, when it came time this past year to replace my trusty but tired 12.5 inch portable Delta, I looked at several planers. In my opinion, based on advice from many who are in town here and have professional shops - the Delta portable planers are superb, and the comparable Grizzlys have had reviews that focus on a few negatives I wanted to avoid (small things - more snipe in boards, hard to read gauges, etc.). I looked to Fine Woodworking for advice and read their reviews, and I went online and read reviews. I don't always take the review for the honest gospel however. For example, despite the good reviews in Fine Woodworking, I had heard some negative things about the 13 inch, two speed DeWalt - both from professionals around town and online reviews from people who had had some trouble with the design (DeWalt was addressing the issues). Since the Delta was also well reviewed, my friends in town had experience no problems with it, and it was $100 less, I decided to purchase it. Great choice - it has worked flawlessly. But at the heavier end - the 15 and 20 inch planers - Grizzly has the market beat hands down in my opinion. My Grizzly 15 inch planer has been a workhorse. I'm glad I read the instructions about oil however - it was shipped bone dry, and had I run it for long, it would have burned up the works inside.

My reason for mentioning the damage to the sander and the missing oil in the planer is that I had never had any other items that were shipped to me damaged or missing essential elements that could damage the machine if used. I never have had to order a replacement part or ask for customer service except for those times that I didn't read the instructions and did something to damage the equipment. Because others who have written have had trouble - you need to take that information and store it away to use when you are making your final decision. In the end, you might take the risk - or - you will find that you don't have to.

I've looked at Grizzly band saws - they seem nice - but I will probably buy the new Rikon 14" band saw when I upgrade. Just looks and runs at the local store exactly like what I need. I don't see any problems with the Grizzly - just that my research is taking me in a different direction. I don't care if it is a Grizzly, a Delta, a Jet, Powermatic, Nova, Oneway......as long as it does what it is supposed to - and that there are people I can depend on to tell me their honest, objective experiences. If I'm spending a large amount of money on the tool - it better work right fresh out of the box!

I guess the point of my very long post here is that, for every tool you look to purchase or upgrade, everyone has an opinion about what works best. Ask the people you trust for advice - based on what you know about them and about their work. I have a friend in town who I trust implicitly for advice about saws, jointers, sanders, planers, etc. but doesn't do much turning at all - so I listen to his advice for the former. I ask others in town about the latter. Don't ever rush a purchase - just take your time and learn as much as you can.

Your post was wise because you flushed out a lot of information - which sure jumped out fast!!;) Now you have to look carefully at what was written, weigh the information thoroughly and objectively, and begin to look at your ideas in a new light.

Ok - one last thing - and my apologies to Bob (Loglugger) who is tired of hearing, "You get what you pay for." While it is an old, tired, saying - I've found it to be sadly true - with most things. If you're going to purchase a new clarinet that is an upgrade to the beginner model? Pay the money for the top end of the preferred brand - because the mid-line aint worth it in one more year. A new DVR? Pay the money for the good one - not the unknown brand - or you will find some DVDs won't work on anything but a computer. A new drill? Spend the extra $75 for the known quality - it won't burn out on you in the middle of a large project. And so on.

Long post - but my email is down, it's 6:30 AM and I can start the machinery because everyone is asleep. Time to get coffee.

Happy day everyone!

Best wishes,
Roger Garrett

Dario

Thanks Roger [:I]

I don't do all the research...most of the time, I start with what most people use (at the bracket that I am looking). I don't hesitate asking questions too (just like this thread) before spending my money. I do try to be objective and not get blinded by the cost/price, name brand, gimmick features, etc.

If you spend time in SawmillCreek...you will learn that most people there (with big lathes) uses PM3520B. Most are mid to professional turners. Even the ones who own better lathes (Robust, Oneway, VB, Poolewood, etc.) agree that at the price range, nothing even comes close to PM3520B (value wise). Next step down is the Jet 1642 and the Nova DVR XP.

Can't go wrong with any of these lathes and most choose one over the other due to space restriction, available power supply, cost, etc.

I am guilty of recruiting a few people to the "mustard club"...just ask Billy LOL.

Top Bottom