Grizzly 10010ANV Grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

designer

I am about to order this, but before I do I wanted to see if anyone is using it and if they are happy with it.

I like it because I do not have the money for a Tormek. It looks like the same thing only different.

I am looking to replace my worksharp 3000 that I am not at all happy with.

Free hand? Not with my eyes and age.

Thanks for your input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

I was looking at the grizzly web site and they have a T10010 and a T10010ANV and according to a tech the only difference (besides the $40 dollar difference) is the paint on the Anniversary Edition and is on a promotional sale.

designer

@gimpy Thanks

I am glad to hear that. I assume it is the same, well almost, as the tormek but cheaper. I am happy to hear from someone that has one.

I will do a review after receiving it.

KenV

Side by side they are not in the same league -- but the Grizzly may well be good-nuf for what you want --

designer

I don't have the spare cash for the Tormek which I would like to have, so that is why I looked at the Grizzly version. I really can't see using it for an axe though. Not with the 220 grit wheel anyway. But for my use it should be good enough I hope.

It looks like it is a 50/50 split on the unit so I am going to take a chance on it.

Thanks for your input.

Katsin

I have heard that the shaft on the Grizzly is more prone to rust so you may want to try and take some precautions to aid that shaft in not rusting if you get the Grizzly unit or at least keep an eye on the shaft condition.

The Tormek jigs are supposed to be much better than the Grizzly jigs so if you go with the Grizzly unit I'd recommending pricing out the jigs... the price difference on the jigs may be less than the price difference on the grinders.

IMO the wet grinders are really only good for finishing an edge. Keep any rough shaping to a regular slow speed grinder b/c if you try to re-shape a tool on a wet grinder you will be there a while.

Last edited:

designer

@lwalper The T3 is smaller as far as the wheel. The package is about the same with the fixture. It is also double the cost of the Grizzly. The motor on the Grizzly has a higher rating too.

designer

@Kastin I have a low speed grinder for reshaping or rough grinding. I am looking for this to give me a better quality edge on the tools.

Thanks for the heads up on the shaft. If I have to pull it down once in a while to do maintenance, fine. I will be worth it as long as it holds up. Time will tell that.

There was one good statement on this unit and one bad one. Sorry, the worksharp is sold already.....Based on the split decision, I ordered the ANV version. As mentioned, it is the same thing with a paint job on it is all. I hope in this case a lower price does not equate to junk. I will find out. The $180 saved is going toward a laser.

jfoh

I have two of the Tormek sharpeners. Both bought off EBay for less than 200 each with attachments. One had the Japanese water stone and I use it for fine finishing only. It gives you a mirror finish without honing, but is too slow to change the grind of sharpen if too dull. If you are patient you can find the 2000 machine on EBay for less than the Grizzly. One is adequate and the other is superb.

I bought the second machine for the finer stone and the extra attachments with the intention of selling the machine and keeping them. I found it was faster to setup both machines and sharpen using both. When I get into the sharpen mood it takes about half a day to sharpen everything I own to a razor sharp edge. You just get into it sometimes.

Top Bottom