Grinder out of balance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teniko

My grinder wheels are running out of balance. I have used the diamond stone to true up the face, taken off and remounted, checked for "ping", and it still runs out of balance. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Dave.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russb

I have both a hand-held diamond stone and the Wolverine Dressing Jig. I feel that the hand-held stone can bounce on the wheel increasing the chance of an out of balance wheel. I use the Wolverine Dressing Jig every 3 or 4 months to true the wheel. I use the hand-held stone for cleaning and because the Wolverine Dressing Jig works from a "fixed" position it is great for getting the wheel back to true. I do more than pens so I sharpen very often.

M

Mudder

What type of grinder is it?
When you say out of balance are you saying that the wheels are egg shaped out of balance or do they appear to wobble?

I have a woodcraft slow speed grinder that drove me nuts with wheel wobble. I tried everything I could think of and finally decided to take the paper off the wheels as a last try before I replaced them and found that removing the paper did the trick.

Rifleman1776

How old are the wheels? Have they run smoothly up to now? If they are new, one or both could be warped. I returned a wheel to CS and was told that imperfect wheels are not uncommon. I put the wheel on three different motor/mandrel set-ups to determine whether the fault was my equipment or the wheel. Test yours on another motor if you can.

Teniko

Thanks for the replies. The grinder is a slow speed grinder from woodcraft (sorry, could not find brand name), and untill recently it ran true. The wobble is a back and forth wobble, not oblong wobble. I will try taking the paper off and then take a trip to woodcraft for a replacement. Dan sugested balancing the wheel myself. Any tips on how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom