Grinder mount

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I'm thinking about buying a Rikon slow speed grinder and Wolverine sharpening jig combo that Woodcraft has. I was wondering how those that have this combo or a Wolverine system attach the grinder to your work bench or stand. I saw some type of mounting plate with predrilled holes for the jig and a center part that sat above that were the grinder would mount. I have no idea just what that was called but it seemed to be a neat idea.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

depends of the size of your grinding wheels. The unit should come w/a instructional video with the layout for both 6 & 8" wheels!

wyone

I got that exact setup for Christmas from my beautiful wife. I used two pieces of MDF to mount the the grinder to. I had to use two pieces to elevate the grinder up off of the larger base to allow the Wolverine jig to work properly. Was not difficult, except for the fact my shop is a mess and I could not find the MDF. lol

toddlajoie

I got that exact setup for Christmas from my beautiful wife. I used two pieces of MDF to mount the the grinder to. I had to use two pieces to elevate the grinder up off of the larger base to allow the Wolverine jig to work properly. Was not difficult, except for the fact my shop is a mess and I could not find the MDF. lol

Pretty much the same thing... Except I used OSB, because it was what I had...

Curly

My grinder is on one of those grinder stands everyone sells for about $40 - $50. a sheet of plywood between it and the grinder serve to mount the jigs on.

Charlie_W

Here you go Dan.

This uses a full 1" thick board on a stand. I picked up the stand at a sale but it was too short for me. My niece's husband found a drive shaft that fit the top and bottom flange. He cut and welded the shaft.
This one is 36" from the floor to the bottom of the board.
I was tired of bending over to sharpen.
Disregard all the stuff piled up.....space is at a premium! The Walmart bag has wood blanks from the Virginia Woodturners Symposium last summer. ....maybe I should look and see what we bought!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 317

Cavediver

I've got my 6" grinder and Wolverine system set up on a piece of plywood so I can move it from storage to a bench top and back again. I'd like to build a dedicated sharpening station, but for now I've got it clamped to the top of an old B&D workmate near my lathe. Maybe once I upgrade to an 8" grinder (which is after a new lathe and a new... and...) :rolleyes:

Fay Prozora

Charlie , not to worry about your shop being a mess. It looks cleaner than mine does. I have my system and I got mine for Christmas also. I will be mounting the grinder on a piece of ply and will no doubt mount the Wolverine to some other wood as the bench has steel tables. So that set up will have to do. Will be headed back to my shop on Sunday if Sis remembers to pick me upon that day. Any way, the DVD only shows how to use each of the components of the system for sharpening. It does not give instructions for setting it up on the wood with the grinder. So one would have to read the instructions that came with it and study the pictures on the box. I went to Swains and bought some good wood screws so I will use those to fasten the bases down to the wood and then put the grinder on a small piece of ply. I will dry fit every thing first and take measurements before I drill any screw holes and such. I don't have much bench space at all and no table space either at least not until I can get my shop organized and such. Almost have to walk sideways to get to the lathe...The grinder is right near the lathe so that is good. Good luck with your set up... Fay

Charlie_W

Charlie , not to worry about your shop being a mess. It looks cleaner than mine does. I have my system and I got mine for Christmas also. I will be mounting the grinder on a piece of ply and will no doubt mount the Wolverine to some other wood as the bench has steel tables. So that set up will have to do. Will be headed back to my shop on Sunday if Sis remembers to pick me upon that day. Any way, the DVD only shows how to use each of the components of the system for sharpening. It does not give instructions for setting it up on the wood with the grinder. So one would have to read the instructions that came with it and study the pictures on the box. I went to Swains and bought some good wood screws so I will use those to fasten the bases down to the wood and then put the grinder on a small piece of ply. I will dry fit every thing first and take measurements before I drill any screw holes and such. I don't have much bench space at all and no table space either at least not until I can get my shop organized and such. Almost have to walk sideways to get to the lathe...The grinder is right near the lathe so that is good. Good luck with your set up... Fay

Thanks!
You will get it set up and find a place that works for you. You can't beat a sharp chisel!

Charlie

Fay Prozora

The DVD came with my system and it was in the box along with the paper set up instructions. It just shows you how to sharpen your tools on the V arm and the platform and the Veri-Grind tool and it also shows how to use attachments that you can buy to be used with the system like the wheel dresser thing and the honing thing that you can buy. It was so funny because I first thought the DVD was faulty as I could not get any sound on it and later I put it in my computer to watch it and it was great. I need to clean my surround sound system Grrrrr Fay

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Fay, I'm going to try and get down to Woodcraft before the end of the month to see if I can use my birthday discount. I've got a good work I mean catch-all bench that I could use but I think I want to put it next to my lathe or I have to buy or make a stand.

Fay Prozora

I wouldn't mind having a stand or a nice big sturdy bench myself. I'm not sure if I like the steel ones in my shop as you can't really fasten any thing down unless you can drill in steel. I'm sure a person can with the right tools made for drilling in steel but the bench that is there will have to do. Once I get it organized then maybe I can find room to put a nice bench in there. So my grinder and Wolverine will be mounted on a wood base and such. I'm hoping I won't have to clamp it down. We'll see when I get it set up.. Funny when Sis and I were staying at the house on Sequim, my grinder would dance around when ever I turned it on and that was a sturdy bench. Now on the steel table it doesn't move when I turn it on so I hope the wood will be fine... Fay

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Fay most of steel grinder stands come predrilled to fit just about any size grinder and you could use thone hole or slots to mount the board you have the grinder and Wolverine system mounted to.

Fay Prozora

My bench is one that my uncle had built when he was alive. He was an auto mechanic and there are no holes in it but his old antique drill press is fastened to it. I want to get that thing off of it and shoved to the back so I would have a little more space. That thing is big and heavy. Any way. The board will be fine for now but I do plan on getting a small bench or even one of those old kitchen butcher block tables would work. Not in nay hurry to get the table or bench as I want to see how well this will work out... Thanks for the ideas.. Fay

Top Bottom