Grinder Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sequoia

I have a PowerTec slow speed grinder ( http://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-BGSS...p/B00E8I3XRW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8 ) which I have been using for about a year, but recently started looking at the edges of my gouges and noticing some not so standard shapes. It wasn't as noticeable on my large roughing gouges but when trying to sharpen smaller spindle gouges that there was an unevenness in the grind where there was a point off center. I started to trouble shooting and noticed that one of my wheels appeared to be out of balance so I tried to follow some online directions. I must have made it worse or perhaps the wheel itself was not good to begin with because when I pulled it off the arbor, part of the hole the arbor goes through was chipped out. I'm pretty sure that this was the culprit or a big one that is, but what I really want to make sure of is the integrity of the arbor.

I have been reading about run-out with respect to Arbors and am curious if anyone knows how I can verify easily how to tell if the arbor has 1. been bent and 2 has excessive runout.

I have noticed that even on the wheel that is less wobbly that the strike marks or dark streaks on the wheel where it touches the gouge are not completely around the wheel, leaving me to believe that the gouge is in the very least bouncing.

I don't want to put any more money into this grinder if the arbor will contribute to uneven grinds in the future with new wheels.

I'd like to get new wheels for this grinder if all seems well with the grinder.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

To test run-out I use a dial indicator. I got this one from Grizzly. Though I must admit I've never measured the run-out on my grinder and I don't know what an acceptable measurment would be. On my drill press I am generally less than .005 and my lathe is somewhere around .003.

low_48

Did you ever true the wheel? They are made by casting the abrasive, with a slightly tapered cast hole. So out of the box, they are out of round and often wobble. It takes a gentle hand with a good diamond dresser to make the round and true.

Top Bottom