Gloat-Newest Toy for Dad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Damn Rick, that's a lot of big rocks, you've got there mate, that will be a very well insulated place when you get it finished, I hope you work out now, all the holes you need in those walls, It ain't going to be easy to make any holes after that...!:eek::biggrin:

Great job, so far...!

Cheers
George

trickydick

You are right George! Whatever my design is...it's hopefully correct because changing it will be impossible. The walls are actually rated at R65. So....when it heats up...it will stay that way and when it cools... it will stay that way also. I hope to add a small hear and a/c system to keep it just right!

raar25

Wow you are a patient man. You have been waiting for 4 months and it appears like this will take another 4 months before it is finished. But you will never have to worry about being blown away, thats for sure!

Just out of curiosity, how much does rock like that run? I'm thinking of adding a pre-cast concrete room to my house, and for a 10' X 10' room they want $20,000. How do your stone blocks compare?
Great looking shop, too!

trickydick

Each stone block measures 2' x 2' x 6' and cost $80 each. Delivery charges really depends on how far they have to go to deliver them. In my case $40/rock for delivery (about 45 miles from the quarry).

The foundation measures 2' wide by 5' deep and cost $20,000 for the 36' x 60' footprint.

Installation of the rocks has been ~15K to date...and more to come.

More than I thought it would cost but gonna be cool when it's done.

OZturner

And we thought Pyramids were massive.

I can't wait to see the Toys you are going to fit it out with.

Obviously you know of the Rule "He who dies with the most tools Wins".

After seeing this, I think I shall give up any idea of winning. ( probably to my wifes' relief).

So pleased you have the space and ability to acheive what you want, you are setting a High Bar, Congratulations.
Brian

trickydick

Latest today. Lighting a fire under them.

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 261

trickydick

Truss going up...finally!

The project that never ends......hard on the pocketbook also. Overruns...missing sub-contractors...rain delays....

Attachments

• shop 4.jpg
    shop 4.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 200
  • shop1.jpg
    shop1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 172
  • shop 2.jpg
    shop 2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 193
  • shop 3.jpg
    shop 3.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

trickydick

Ear preservation

Ear protection will be important. the echo is intense

on the flip side, it was 48 degrees outside and 60 inside..without doors and windows. the stone is rated at R65.

Boz

Looks like a fabulous shop in the making. At the beginning of the post you mentioned the floor will be concrete. My shop is in an old building that was built in the late 1800s. It has concrete floors that are the hardest I have ever seen. You could and I have pound on them high a large hammer and they won't even chip. However after some long days I have found my feet and legs ache. Floor mats help but they are not everywhere. I also have shoes with crepe soles that help but I am considering putting in sleepers on the floor and decking it with hardwood. A little spring to the floor and a lot easier on the old feet and ankles. Just a thought.

kirkfranks

Rick
I just came across this thread. Congratulations on the new workspace, but more importantly you should gloat about your wife. She is a real keeper to do all of this for you.

trickydick

Thanks Mark! I agree about the concrete. My last shop had concrete floors and did may the feet and legs sore. My contractor talked me out of wood due to the internal distance and the fact that I wanted lots of room under the floor for my vacuum system and my fat butt when I need to make changes to the system.

robutacion

I wish that you stop putting pics sideways, I got a crook neck out of trying to tilt my head to see what the pic was about...!:frown:

Seriously, that is coming up quite nicely from where I seat, off-course:wink::)

I'm a wood person but, in some situations, I'm very much a cement believer and on that floor, is nothing else that I would want, even tough my heavy a$$ and bad legs/feet suffer considerably on solid surfaces.

I have found a lot easier to buy footwear that is design to cope with heavy bodies under solid floors, I have purchased some footwear recently, that has about 1"1/2 thickness of soft rubber (or whatever it is) and all of a certain, I can feel a tremendous improvement, in all aspects...!

The expense of rubber mates and the difficulty to have them were we need them, compared to carry in your feet the protection you need, regardless of where you are is such that, I don't want to walk around with anything else on my feet, regardless of where I have to go...!

One aspect of your building that I was disappointed with is, that timber roof that doesn't seem any different than the roofs put on houses in our days and the very same ones that, get blown away with strong winds so, I wonder, what good it will make to have a structure up to ceiling level that is capable to withstand the worse of cyclones and a rood/ceiling combination that will be taken away on a "mild" cyclone, exposing everything and therefore causing tremendous damage on anything that is inside that building, particularly if heavy rains are involved...??:confused:

On the other hand, I can understand of the extra costs of having a better roof/ceiling combination but, you have already made a statement by building such an unique and strong building base frame/body so, I apologise for my observations/questions but, I feel pertinent...!

Please, don't take offence of my opinion, I'm doing so based on the principle of constructive criticism and at the same time, satisfy my curiosity about this issue so, I would appreciate your thoughts on this...!

Cheers
George

trickydick

George,

You are correct on most points. the floor is being changed to 2 layers of strand board and then a 3/4" oak tongue and groove flooring. the roof is very modern because of cost and the fact that it will not be visible. A good twister may remove the roof but the stones aren't going anywhere. I will be "skinning" the rafters with a bead board so no one will know the true structure under it.

Here are the current pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1072.jpg
    IMG_1072.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 170

trickydick

Let there be light!

It's been a long trek. Lights are now installed. Look like the sun rose in my shop. No shadows will ever be known in here. Installed high efficiency, motion detected panels (16). They come on when you walk in and go off 10 minutes after last motion is detected.

I have finished the oak floor but forgot to take pictures. Maybe tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 229
How did you run the wiring for the lights and switches? I don't see any conduit anywhere! Is it outside? Just wondering since we are in the planning stages to have a concrete house poured soon and that is one of our questions. Our house will have a poured foundation, walls, and roof.

flyitfast

Don't sit down and go to sleep - you will wake up in the dark!!!!
Your "toy" is really looking great.
In case you don't know it, you are the envy of the group.
If you run out of space, you can overflow into my garage..!
Good job and bless your wife.
gordon

trickydick

the wiring was run up in the corner thru a conduit where it cannot be seen. We buried it with rocks and mortar. There is one interior framed wall (i'll take a picture) where the light switches are but I will most likely never use them as the motion sensors are doing a great job.

I have an office, mechanical room and a bathroom. The mechanical room is for 5hp vac and air compressor. this room has 3/4 plywood, 1 inch soundboard and 1/2 inch drywall. I am hope the shop will be very quiet while the van is running.

I'll take some more pics in the morning.

raar25

In all serious if you are focused on something at the lathe for 10 minutes these lights may shut off on you. You may want to have some non-motion lighting at the lathe just in case.

Marko50

Don't ever "should" on yourself!

Way. Too. Nice. :cool: As of this minute, my wife will be receiving a text with these pics in it. :) …Birthday's just around the corner…Good golley, gee whiz !!

trickydick

New pics

Almost done with the beadboard wall that separates the work area from the office, mechanical room and restroom. Oak floor is finished but still needs to be sanded.

Last edited:
Top Bottom