Gloat-Newest Toy for Dad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

trickydick

I just had to start my gloat now. I have been in China, doing good work for my company and the people of China so my wife thought she would get going on my new workshop while I was gone. I return in June so I get the fun of finishing it up. The new workshop footprint is 50 x 60 with porches in each side. The walls will be made by using Texas Sandstone landscape blocks that are 2ft x 2ft x 6ft. Each block weighs 2 tons! It will have 12 ft walls and the peak of the roof will be 24 feet. The floor workspace is 30 x 56. the floor will be made from a floating metal truss system with a 3 inch concrete slab on top. this will allow me to put all my vacuum, air and electrical systems under the floor and still have access in case I redesign in the future. Here are some pictures of the foundation pour that happened yesterday. I will post update as major steps occur.

Attachments

• foundation.jpg
    foundation.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 707
  • foundation2.jpg
    foundation2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 581
  • foundation3.jpg
    foundation3.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 758
shop

it looks like you will need some more tools. the shop sounds like it will be wonderful to be creative in once you return. she is a keeper.

trickydick

thanks for the comments. woodworking is mostly just a hobby and I only sell stuff in order to get rid of it or i would be buried in pens, bowls, cutting boards etc. it is my stress release and trust me, i need that at times.

trickydick

there will be an access panel in one of the corners. the foundation has about 2 feet of crawl space under it so I can send my skinny son down there to run pipe and wire. At least that's the plan at the moment.

trickydick

I just had to start my gloat now. I have been in China, doing good work for my company and the people of China so my wife thought she would get going on my new workshop while I was gone. I return in June so I get the fun of finishing it up. The new workshop footprint is 50 x 60 with porches in each side. The walls will be made by using Texas Sandstone landscape blocks that are 2ft x 2ft x 6ft. Each block weighs 2 tons! It will have 12 ft walls and the peak of the roof will be 24 feet. The floor workspace is 30 x 56. the floor will be made from a floating metal truss system with a 3 inch concrete slab on top. this will allow me to put all my vacuum, air and electrical systems under the floor and still have access in case I redesign in the future. Here are some pictures of the foundation pour that happened yesterday. I will post update as major steps occur.

new shots taken today

Attachments

• foundation4.jpg
    foundation4.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 453
  • foundation5.jpg
    foundation5.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 595

raar25

So let me get this right, you are building a 3000 sq ft building for a hobby? That building is larger than the house 95% of Americans live in. To top it off your wife not only agreed, but she is handling the construction while your gone! That is truely amazing, I am speechless. You are truely blessed.

BeSquare

I'm jealous, I have to drive 25 miles to use my workshop in my mothers house since I live in a condo and can't have my tools there :/

Awesome set up!

trickydick

slow progress is still progress

I can almost smell the sawdust now! Starting to look like a building!

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 223

OZturner

I am so envious.
What a great workshop space, and an ideal situation of being able to design it from scratch without restrictions of any existing, limiting , or conflicting structures to have to work around. Truly Heaven!
Like most other guys it is back to my garage, where my workshop has evicted my car to the driveway.

trickydick

Had to start over on one wall

Here is the 12' 8000 lb rock being installed. We start on the roof next week.

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 265
Top Bottom