Getting back to wood turning - need sharpening help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crashgtr

Hi,

I was away from wood turning for a few years because of a torn tendon. Over that time someone who remain nameless, cluttered up my work areas in the garage which are now back in shape.

I was away from IAP during that same timespan also.
Recently I started dusting off and reorganizing my workshop and getting ready to turn but I realized I forgot how to use the Tormek and all the jigs to sharpen.

Even back when I was turning, I don't think I was ever getting really sharp edges on the tools. It seems that even though I watched all the videos on using each jig and referred to the book, the profiles didn't seem to be repeatable even though I was trying to use the jigs and setup advice.

So I re-watched all the videos and started practicing on some bowl gouges and shallow gouges using the settings I had previously recorded only to mess up the profile.

Is there any advice to get it right and repeatable before I ruin the edges on more expensive turning tools?

Thanks!

Fish30114

Liz, getting sharp edges--on whatever is all about being able to set and maintain during sharpening the correct angle, it isn't really that important what that actual angle is as long as both sides are the same and come to an apex consistently. Honing an edge is an art unto itself, but activities like stropping or using a leather belt or wheel are meant to further polish the edge so that it cuts as cleanly as possible. If you can mount your tools into the various jigs consistently you are miles ahead. I have found very instructive and helpful to use a sharpie to color the edge I want to sharpen, to see if I am taking metal off in the right spot through my sharpening efforts. Determine the angle you would like and learn to mount the tool repeat-ably and color the edge of your tool with a sharpie and go at it, the Tormek is a great tool, although a little tedious in actual use.... but it is great when you run the wheel through water, because you run no risk of taking the temper out of your tool.

Good luck--remember, there are actual books written on the subject of sharpening any and every tool imaginable.

Top Bottom