FTG saw blade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

Anybody have a recommendation on a good 10", 5/8 bore Flat Top Grind saw blade for crosscutting cheese slicer boards? Most everything I've seen so far are rip blades.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Anybody have a recommendation on a good 10", 5/8 bore Flat Top Grind saw blade for crosscutting cheese slicer boards? Most everything I've seen so far are rip blades.

Well the first question is why do you need a FTG blade???

Next thing is you are not going to find a specific cross cut blade with FTG configuration unless it is a custom blade and there are companies that will grind this for you such as Forrest. You will find FTG in ripping blades 24 teeth. They can crosscut but may not be the best cut on the sides.

You can buy a TCG Triple Chip Grind blade and this gives you the best of both worlds but they get pricey It is not a true flat bottom cut but close enough.

www.woodworkerexpress.com/amana-tool-610601-general-purpose-cutoff-triple-chip-grind-10.html

Freud Triple Chip Tooth Design Saw Blades

Another option is to use the blade from a stack dado system. The center blade is flat ground but only 8"

Another option is to route the slot if that is what you are looking for.

Have to tell you if you use a thin kerf crosscut blade with 60 teeth (ATG) the bottom is pretty close to flat because of the thickness of the blade.

Good luck

gtriever

Bill, you hit the nail on the head. It's for the wire groove on the boards. My OCD is showing through on this -- being in a small town, with lots of competitors (read that as the pro woodworking shops) for the tiny market that is available, the only thing I see that can sell my product is attention to detail. And in my OCD mind, that means a flat-bottomed groove on that cheese slicer board, to go along with the radiused corners and rounded edges.

John, good suggestions as always. I think I have a Freud 60-tooth blade tucked away somewhere. I'll get some scrap out and give it a try. I thought of routing the slot, but man, as fragile as 1/8 bits are that would take forever! :eek:

jttheclockman

Bill, you hit the nail on the head. It's for the wire groove on the boards. My OCD is showing through on this -- being in a small town, with lots of competitors (read that as the pro woodworking shops) for the tiny market that is available, the only thing I see that can sell my product is attention to detail. And in my OCD mind, that means a flat-bottomed groove on that cheese slicer board, to go along with the radiused corners and rounded edges.

John, good suggestions as always. I think I have a Freud 60-tooth blade tucked away somewhere. I'll get some scrap out and give it a try. I thought of routing the slot, but man, as fragile as 1/8 bits are that would take forever! :eek:

Not really. I have routed 1/16" bits in maple. That took some time because you can not force that bit and have to do in steps. get a carbide 1/8" bit and it will last a long time. If you choose that route.

gtriever

Aaaand, I'm not thinking (again). Note to self - cut the slot with the sawv clean it up with either the plane or router bit. Doh!

Top Bottom