Status
Not open for further replies.

scalawagtoo

view from front door

2005618233949_frontdoor90k.jpg

Seems to work, I'll compress more shots and post them

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

That's the same saw, grinder, and drill press that I have.

For the forum here, a resolution of 640 x 480 works pretty well. The size depends on people's screen resolution, but the pic above runs off my page and I have to scroll to see it all.

scalawagtoo

How in the world do you make titanium pens.

They're fantastic!

I don't know how to change the resolution, I'm working on it.

Monday I'll buy that compression program, I'll get this photo posting figured out yet'

they're nice tools.

btboone

Yup. That works well on my screen. I can see the whole shop at once.

Thanks for the Kudos on the pens Paul. I make them on a large computer controlled lathe. I use carbide insert tooling and use lots of coolant for the titanium. I run the wood ones without coolant. I do them half at a time to keep things short and stiff, and I made my own mandrel system.

JimGo

Yes, great pics, and I'm REALLY jealous of your shop! You could fit mine in your wood rack back in the left-hand corner of your shop!

scalawagtoo

Thanks Sam, it's a lot better at that size.
I have a used computer that the previous owner took all his programs off from.

It's fast, but almost all it has is Windows 98.

Can you or anybody recommend a good inexpensive photo editing program that will compress shots to 90K?

Next to my shop is a computer room with two computers, but they both have windows 98 and I installed one photo editing program I found in a drawer but it won't compress. It will resize but then I have to put the edits on a disc and bring them home because I can't get much internet time at the shop.

I need a good program.

swm6500

I have not used the Picasa program, but if Lou is recommending it I would certainly think that it would do the job for you. Paul you may have to break down and upgrade to a new computer.[8D]

scalawagtoo

I just downloaded Picasa 2 in five minutes.

When I try to start it I get a Note saying that it needs screen resolution of 600x800 and 16 bit color. That probably means I need a better monitor, right?

scalawagtoo

I would like to get a new computer. But for now I'll have to download Picasa at the shop and if that won't go at my sister's house.

Better start selling pens if a I want anything new!

JimGo

Paul,
Not necessarily a better monitor; you may just need to change the resolution on the screen. If you're not using a laptop, it's a piece of cake to change the resolution. Simply close all the open programs, or minimize everything, so you can see the desktop, then right-click in an open area of the desktop. From the menu that comes up, choose Properties. The Settings tab allows you to change the resolution and color depth. You are probably set to 640x480 and 256 colors if you're using the default Win98 setup. Simply change to 800x600 (slide the slider to the right one notch) and change to at least 64,000 colors (may as well just set it to its highest setting). Click OK. You may have to restart to have the changes take effect. Once the changes are in place, you should be all set.

If that doesn't work, it's not likely that the monitor is your problem; it is most likely the video card. It may not support high enough resolution or pixel depth. You can get another video card for pretty cheap, but at that point, if you're going to be replacing hardware anyway, I agree with the advice above - upgrade. The new OS will have some additional stability and some nice bells-and-whistles compared to what you're running now, and the horsepower gain will be incredible.

Good luck!

scalawagtoo

I changed the resolution on my screen and got Picasa2.
Thanks so much for you advice. It changed my whole desktop, a lot of thngd come in better. Picasa2 is a really cool program bu tit won't resize or compress. It refines pics really well.

I've been downloading program after program trying to find one that works.

I'll keep at till I succeed.[8]

JimGo

Paul,
Check to see if there are settings when you "save as" the file. Many times, the compression settings will be revealed once you click a "more" button (or "properties", "advanced", or some similar name) that's on the Save As screen. You can then change the compression ratio if you are saving the picture as a JPG; you can usually drop down to about 75% (100% being uncompressed) without losing much in the way of image quality, especially for our purposes here. As I mentioned before, you can also drop the DPI for the picture to reduce the file size (72DPI is the standard for monitors). Still another way to reduce the size is to crop out the extraneous stuff in the background.

Hope this helps!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by scalawagtoo
<br />Picasa2 is a really cool program bu tit won't resize or compress. It refines pics really well.

Paul--from http://www.picasa.com/support/knowledge_answers.php
Picasa never makes changes to your original picture files. Any changes you make to a picture in Picasa only exist in Picasa. To create a duplicate picture file that includes any edits you made to the picture, you need to export the file.

Select the picture (or pictures) you wish to export so that they appear in the Picture Tray. Click the Export button near the bottom-right of the Picasa screen (you can also click File &gt; Export to Folder).

You will see the Picasa Export to Folder Screen. Here you can:

Select the Location of the Exported Folder (by default, Picasa will Export to My Pictures\Picasa Exports). If you wish to change the export directory, just press 'Browse'.
Enter the name of the Export Folder.
Select the size of the exported pictures.
Select the Image Quality of the exported files.
If you are exporting a video file, make sure to select the Full Movie (no resizing) option near the bottom of the screen.
Click OK.

I hope this helps! [8D]

BigRob777

Man,
That is a huge shop. I have pretty much everything I can use, but it is crammed into a one car garage. I'm rewiring it now (not easy with a bad back), but it will never look like yours. Please excuse the drool, dribbling on my shirt. I ah got something in my eye, no that doesn't work. Anyway, thanks for the gander. I'll put mine up when it is done. I still have to install my new drill press, lathe and band saw. All are partly done. Wanna come over and help? LOL[:D] Is that your table saw in the back corner? I can't get mine to pick up chips and I keep getting them thrown at me, which leaves bumps, if I am allergic to the wood. I'll go to a question forum and ask away. Also,---must get sleep!!!

scalawagtoo

BigRob777 -
I'll be there tomorrow to help you set up your new tools Man, will that be fun! (if you have a ticket waiting for me at the airport) (seriously, I can't get away just now)
No, that is not MY tablesaw, All of those tools belong to the Senior Citizens of the Amery (Wisconsin) Area. My membership gives me the privilidge of using that fantastic shop.
The other day (lack of rest is making it a bit of a blur) I also had the privilidge of meeting Nettie Mooney (Boy I hope I spelled it right!) who is the lady who with her husband
was responsible for creating the Amery Area Senior Center.
She told Cliff Frederickson that he could have all the money he needed to build the shop. Can you imagine? The room was designed for a shop, it has a heating/AC system separate from the rest of the building to keep the dust out of the ventilation system.
Cliff is a talented woodworker who also did most of the woodwork in the rest of the building. He's getting older and I was sorry to hear that his wife passed away.
Yesterday the Chairman of the Board told me he wanted me "in charge" of the shop so that people don't disappear our tools and materials. But he's just the Chairman of the Board, the Director makes those decisions, and Cliff is the shop boss. If I work hard and be responsible maybe one day I will get a promotion.
That particular tablesaw in the corner is a virtual antique.
A Delta Milwaukee Homeshop Or (homecraft) belt drive. I haven't yet had the time to fire it up and see how she runs. First I better get out the manual and make sure it's properly adjusted and lubed and all.
You might want to think of some sort of dust collection system, rig up a shop vac or something.

God Bless and thanks for looking.[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom