Forstner Bit Recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I need a handful of sizes ranging from 1 to 1 3/4 inches for some non-penturning, nor hinge installation projects. However, I will be using each size in excess of 25 times within in a very short timeframe. I will be drilling the holes using a drill press. On some holes, I will retain a flat bottom (not drilling all of the way through) and others, I will be drilling completing through the stock (and I do turn the stock over and drill from both sides even though the stock is secured to MDF). My stock is primarily 3/4 inch plywood.

Thanks..and I do have a decent budget.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I use Colt maxicut forstner bits. Last a long time and easy to sharpen. If I am drilling really hard surfaces as with my Billiardball clocks I use a carbide tipped bit.

Use on plywood will take its toll because of the glue, but for 25 cuts that should not be a problem at all.

No need to turn the stock over to drill from both sides unless you really want to. The key is to have a good backer board under it and clamp it tight to the drill press table and drill right through. I do this all the time when I make my clocks of wood. No tearout.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Not sure what it is you are doing but you do know there are 2 type of so called forstner bits. (flat bottom bits) Saw tooth and true forstner bits. By the way I also use CMT bits. Have a set of those too. Nice bits. Slow down the speed when using.

Also to note Fisch has a different styled bit out called the Wave cutter bit. It is a form of forstner bit but the cutter edges are shaped in the curve form of a wavey cutter instead of a saw tooth pattern. Never used those. Be tough to sharpen those I would think.

Last edited:

TonyL

Thanks JT. I noticed the different types after you guys furnished the recommendations. I am making a platform/shelf (3/4" inch birch pw) that has holes drilled in them 1/2" in deep (so it will have a bottom). It will serve as a self to hold small bottles of essential oils. I am also going to apply the same concept to store my frequently used bushing using small, clear plastic/lidded containers near my primary lathe. This "project" is far from anything that requires any real skill (compared to what you make), but I borrowed my friend's inexpensive bits, and I was not thrilled - but I did make satisfactory holes with bottoms. And as you suggested, I do tightly clamp my works to some MDF when drilling through.
As far as sharpening them....I wouldn't know what to...I am delighted that I can sharpen my skews at this point.

Thanks for asking and sharing your opinion.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I bought a generic forstner bit set about 25 years ago for about $40. Then a second set from HF about 10 years ago for $ about $30 or $40.

Two years ago, I bought a set of 16 Freud for about $175. Today they are well over $200. The Freud cut SOOOO Much better than the cheap ones that it doesn't even compare. Were they worth 5X as much? To me - Yes. If I only wanted to do one or two or three cuts, maybe not, but I use Forstner bits sporadically and then suddenly for lots of cuts. The jump to quality bits of Freud was WELL worth it to me.

JohnT makes/made clocks. I imagine that he has had considerable experience.

The Fisch or Colt, either one would be great. This is one area where "you get what you pay for," or don't pay for.

KenV

Tony

Colt brand bits are made by Fitch. Reportedly, in the same facility. Both are excellent steel.

Have Freud and CMT bits and both have done well.

Cheap bits have needed tuneups to work pretty well. If you do not want to futz, avoid the lower end of the supply chain. That will keep you out of the high carbon steel bits.

Colt and Freud Carbide have accumulated more than others. For 25 holes and only a few sizes, hard to beat Freud Carbide.

raar25

I would only buy carbide now that I do quite a few peppermills. Carbon steel does not last that long. I have a carbon steel set and which are ok for standard home improvement but I go to woodworkers supply who sells them individually for a good price if you don't want to buy a whole set.

Top Bottom