flammable items

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

How do you store your glues and flammable materials. Metal container... on the shelf or rack? I'm accumulating a decent collection of glue and finishing liquids. Is a metal bucket with a lid a good or bad idea.
I'm replacing the 8 year old fire extinguisher. They go bad.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

I have an old gov't surplus fire cabinet. It's about 5' tall, 20" wide, and 15" deep.
It holds a ton of stuff.
Not fire proof, but fire resistant.

magpens

I think storing flammables in a metal container is OK. . but not tightly sealed.

And don't put any rags or paper towels in the container .... danger of spontaneous combustion.

WriteON

I think storing flammables in a metal container is OK. . but not tightly sealed.

And don't put any rags or paper towels in the container .... danger of spontaneous combustion.

Not tightly sealed...slightly vented to breathe right. I do understand about rags, towels, spontaneous....thanks

WriteON

Hi... subject renewed. Storing flammable materials. More sprays paint, glues, varnishes, bunsen burner, micro torch, you name it. Is there a specific cabinet to store this stuff in

jttheclockman

I am a one man shop so basically just store things on shelves in cabinets. My shop is a basement shop so the temp does not vary much through the year. There is really no direct sunlight to worry about and the heating system is in another room. I believe temps is the concern when storing flammable items. A can is a can is a can and if dropped or placed in direct heat no cabinet is going to help. You store those out in a shed where temps can get very hot quickly then you better have temp control on that cabinet too. just saying.

Now spontaneous combustion of oily rags or when using CA and paper towels is another story that any shop owner should be aware of. You hope people read about these things or are being taught from wiser people about the hazards.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Good thread. I lay out rags flat to cool if there is any exothermal action (like the big word?). Paper towels for finishing pens are tossed on the floor and not bunched up in a pile. I have put them in a large metal soup can with water. Otherwise, everything is stored on a shelf.

MRDucks2

Look up "flammable cabinet". Basically a double walled metal cabinet with a latching door.

I bought one in great shape at an auction for $50, about 28" square and 18" deep. This has proven to have plenty of space for my in shop flammables. I keep fuel n a separate small building.

Looking them up online, the price of these sizes of cabinets is pretty reasonable. Bigger gets more expense pretty quickly.

WriteON

I am a one man shop so basically just store things on shelves in cabinets. My shop is a basement shop so the temp does not vary much through the year. There is really no direct sunlight to worry about and the heating system is in another room. I believe temps is the concern when storing flammable items. A can is a can is a can and if dropped or placed in direct heat no cabinet is going to help. You store those out in a shed where temps can get very hot quickly then you better have temp control on that cabinet too. just saying.

Now spontaneous combustion of oily rags or when using CA and paper towels is another story that any shop owner should be aware of. You hope people read about these things or are being taught from wiser people about the hazards.
In Florida garage. It is hot/humid during the Summer. Glues go bad. Anything vinyl/rubber gets sticky.
I'm aware of oil rags. I learned real fast about CA on the paper towel.

NeonWoodShop

Like Mike said - Flammable Storage Cabinet for, well, storing flammables.
Oily Waste Cans for rags with oils and CA etc.

Your best bet may be to find storage in a conditioned space for glues and other non-flammable items, and only bring what you need for each day/project into the garage. An old fridge or wine chiller that can keep around 70 degrees may work to keep glues etc. in the garage.

My garage is not conditioned either, so I understand what you're dealing with. I do a lot of my work outside to limit opening the garage when it's hot or cold unless absolutely necessary. Not a solution but it helps a little.

Top Bottom