Finished carbide tool holders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RegisG

I've been curious about using carbide on my wood lathe. So, I asked a couple questions about making my own handles/grips to hold carbide bits.

BeeAMaker and Joshua_Luther responded with photos and links that helped me a lot.

Here are the results:

tool1a.jpeg

tool1.jpeg

I don't know why the shine of the bits doesn't show up in the photos. I painted the steel black but NOT the bits.

I'm going to let the 5 minute epoxy dry overnight before I use them as it is a bit chilly in my garage.

Thanks for all the tips,
Regis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeeAMaker

Awesome job!
Watch a few videos on using them - it's a bit of a curve from what you might be use to. I learned last night I can use the round one at a bit of an angle, much like a skew ant take less aggressive cuts.

Last edited:

Skie_M

Those look great! I finished up mine last night too, but I only have the one ... it's on it's way to Eric already.

I'm already planning on a few more of very similar design! :)

Oh, forgot what I was gonna say when I started my response ... (busy eating, lol!)

Epoxy while curing likes to be warm .... really should keep a curing epoxy project someplace warmer.

Last edited:

RegisG

I'm working on a set of four. How did you do the cutout for the diamond cutter.

After milling the front to proper depth, I used the smallest end mill that I have 1/8" and angled it slightly (working both axis). Then filed the edges to straighten better.

Regis

mecompco

I'm working on a set of four. How did you do the cutout for the diamond cutter.

After milling the front to proper depth, I used the smallest end mill that I have 1/8" and angled it slightly (working both axis). Then filed the edges to straighten better.

Regis

Ah, well, being short one milling machine, I guess I'm back to my original Dremel tool and files idea. Thanks, though, yours look great. :)

Regards,
Michael

jcgolov

I've been curious about using carbide on my wood lathe. So, I asked a couple questions about making my own handles/grips to hold carbide bits.

BeeAMaker and Joshua_Luther responded with photos and links that helped me a lot.

Here are the results:

tool1a.jpeg

tool1.jpeg

I don't know why the shine of the bits doesn't show up in the photos. I painted the steel black but NOT the bits.

I'm going to let the 5 minute epoxy dry overnight before I use them as it is a bit chilly in my garage.

Thanks for all the tips,
Regis

I have been looking at doing this after watching some videos on Youtube. What are the names and size of these tools??? I looked the other day and there seem to be different sizes???

mecompco

I have been looking at doing this after watching some videos on Youtube. What are the names and size of these tools??? I looked the other day and there seem to be different sizes???

You can buy a number of different sized cutters, and use different stock for your holders. I'm using 1/2" square stock for mine, which is very common.

Pictured above are a square cutter, a diamond detailer and a round cutter. I'm doing the same, but also making one dedicated to my favorite radiused square cutter, the R2. I'm going with 15mm on that. The square cutter is pretty aggressive, great for straight in cuts, but easy to catch otherwise. I think the R2 is best for pens (though some swear by the round).

Check out azcarbide.com for a wide range of cutters (great prices, too). You can get square and round cutters cheaper elsewhere, but I've not found a better price on the diamond and R2 cutters.

Regards,
Michael

RegisG

-----------------

Thanks for all the tips,
Regis

I used the ones from BeeAMaker's post. Square is 15mm, round is 12mm, and diamond is 10mm.
I used them today. Definitely like the round one. Diamond has its uses. I do NOT like the square one. Perhaps when I want something perfectly straight it would come in handy but, I'll try to find one with at least a little radius.

Regis

BeeAMaker

I used the ones from BeeAMaker's post. Square is 15mm, round is 12mm, and diamond is 10mm.
I used them today. Definitely like the round one. Diamond has its uses. I do NOT like the square one. Perhaps when I want something perfectly straight it would come in handy but, I'll try to find one with at least a little radius.

Regis

Regis, Try rotating the handle about 30 degrees and use it like a skew - I found that works nicely. The round works that way too. Something I learned at my last maker meeting.

RegisG

Regis

Regis, Try rotating the handle about 30 degrees and use it like a skew - I found that works nicely. The round works that way too. Something I learned at my last maker meeting.

Thanks, I'll give it a try

These turned out great! I could never justify the cost of the store bought carbide tools. These are so easy to make. On my round carbide tool I didn't even recess the bit at all. It works just fine. The square bit works good at flattening the bottom of whatever you're turning.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

mecompco

I have a "Magical Skew" (thanks again, Bob!) from: DELUXE MAGICAL SKEW - T. Shadow & Co. LLC

The cool thing about this tool is that the tool holder is made from hexagonal steel rather than square or round. When you place the tool on the rest, the cutter is at a "skew like" angle, thus shearing rather than scraping. I do alternate between using the angle and holding it flat to scrape. I'm thinking a rounded tool holder might work about as well and after I finish my set of four square one might try a round one.

Top Bottom