Feel Kinda Stupid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

There is rarely a tool I do not like. But in spite of reading some of the bad reviews I bought the PSI Cutting Corners Jig. I've bought poor tools in the past but this thing is a $20 joke. It does not work. It can be used but you are taking a chance of losing some fingers if not an eye from flying blanks. This is a DO NOT BUY item.

This is more than likely not the last stupid thin I'll buy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

butchf18a

Yes Rocky its pretty much a tool junky tool. Normally i will simply round on the lathe, light cuts to start on some materials. On thing like rhinoplastic and some trustones I may round off corners simply on belt sander.

Jmoicbw-bidi

shastastan

There is rarely a tool I do not like. But in spite of reading some of the bad reviews I bought the PSI Cutting Corners Jig. I've bought poor tools in the past but this thing is a $20 joke. It does not work. It can be used but you are taking a chance of losing some fingers if not an eye from flying blanks. This is a DO NOT BUY item.

This is more than likely not the last stupid thin I'll buy.

Don't feel like the lone ranger, Rocky. I bought one awhile back also. I already had what's called a small parts handler that I do use on my router table. The one from PSI is not usable for me, but that may also be due to the carbide tipped resaw blade I have on my bandsaw.

I do cut off the corners on large pieces such as 4-5" square. It does help bring it into round especially with hard wood such as the ambrosia maple I'm using to make a communion goblet for our church. However, for that I'm just using a short piece of 2 x 6" stock with a 45 deg. V cut in it.

Stan

beck3906

I don't see the advantage of removing the corners. Surely you can remove them faster on the lathe.

The reason to remove the corners is to reduce the impact of the corner hitting the chisel until the blank becomes round. Removing the corners will help reduce the vibration and risk of blowing apart segmented blanks and other sensitive blanks.

Rockytime

I knock off the corners on resin blanks. Easier turning. I don't like using the sander because of the dust. I only do pen sanding in my little shop. The disc and belt sander, band saw and table saw are outside the shop and in the garage proper. I just take off the corners by hand with my band saw. I just thought, "kinda cool, a devise to make it quicker and easier." My curiosity is satisfied and I'll just put in the scrapper after removing the metal rods. Hopefully they are material that will machine nicely and be used for some other project.

Top Bottom