EWT Vs Capt Eddie Inserts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I've gone through 2 EWT R2 inserts and most recently 2 replacement cutters from capt Eddie.

I'm convinced that the EWT inserts are better. Cut better and last a little longer.

I can't prove it, but I believe it.

That said, the Eddie inserts are a good bit cheaper and they do work well enough for sure.

I'm not entirely sure what I'll do next time around.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

Dan, if you can live with an R4, Global Tooling has some great ones for $2.61 each. They are crazy sharp and hold an edge a long time.

Carbide Insert Knives - Global Tooling

Scroll down the page to:
For "Byrd" Shelix ® Journal (Helical) Heads -- 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm - 4-edge - Radius Faces
100mm face radius - 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm. Fits "Byrd" Shelix ® Heads - Byrd Ref. P/N 1791212 (Priced per knife, sold in boxes of 10.) Knives marked with 'BT'

Dan Masshardt

Dan, if you can live with an R4, Global Tooling has some great ones for $2.61 each. They are crazy sharp and hold an edge a long time. Carbide Insert Knives - Global Tooling Scroll down the page to: For "Byrd" Shelix ® Journal (Helical) Heads -- 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm - 4-edge - Radius Faces 100mm face radius - 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm. Fits "Byrd" Shelix ® Heads - Byrd Ref. P/N 1791212 (Priced per knife, sold in boxes of 10.) Knives marked with 'BT'

Maybe I'll experiment with those next.

shastastan

Dan, if you can live with an R4, Global Tooling has some great ones for $2.61 each. They are crazy sharp and hold an edge a long time. Carbide Insert Knives - Global Tooling Scroll down the page to: For "Byrd" Shelix ® Journal (Helical) Heads -- 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm - 4-edge - Radius Faces 100mm face radius - 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm. Fits "Byrd" Shelix ® Heads - Byrd Ref. P/N 1791212 (Priced per knife, sold in boxes of 10.) Knives marked with 'BT'

Maybe I'll experiment with those next.

Based on Harry's suggestion (another thread). I bought those cutters and they work fine. I have not used them enough to wear any down yet though. Based on a Youtube, I bought a diamond stone for $22. It says to just do 6 passes. With 10 cutters and a diamond stone, I'm thinking that I won't be buying anymore cutters for a long time.

Stan

jzerger

Does global tooling mentioned above sell the actual tool or just the inserts? I have a fairly old penpro(use it for virtually everything ) but think its time for a another. Are the insert sizes universal enough that global tools inserts will fit the ferrel penpro? His are angled slightly( the r4). Thanks, john

jzerger

I believe that these cutters (inserts) are the ones I need (thanks).
I didn't see that they sold the entire tool (with handle & shaft).
I'm not equipped to make the metal shaft of the tool.
Thanks again,
john

Hendu3270

I bought my carbide cutters from Capt Eddie and have been using them (particularly the round one) for over a year. I just remove it and sharpen on a diamond hone and keeps on going.

plano_harry

Thanks again,
john

John the Global Tooling Byrd cutters will fit a Woodchuck Penpro without modification. That is what I use.

PMBROTH.NY

carbide cutters

Hello the carbide cutters can be sharpened very easily with a diamond stone. You take it off a few passes on the flat side and your good as new. I use Captan Eddies and other brands and really do not see a big differnce.
Brian

I've gone through 2 EWT R2 inserts and most recently 2 replacement cutters from capt Eddie.

I'm convinced that the EWT inserts are better. Cut better and last a little longer.

I can't prove it, but I believe it.

That said, the Eddie inserts are a good bit cheaper and they do work well enough for sure.

I'm not entirely sure what I'll do next time around.

Loucurr

Thanks again,
john

John the Global Tooling Byrd cutters will fit a Woodchuck Penpro without modification. That is what I use.

Would those fit the PSI 3 in 1 carbide tool?

Top Bottom